Get "Delay Notification" dialog while using the Macros IDE RRS feed

• Question

• I am using VS2010 and the Macros IDE and noticed that when I entered some conditional VB statements, and in particular when I tried some nested #If statements, that I received errors in the error pane and I could not edit the macro. (I could add text, but not delete text.) Furthermore, I received a "Delay Notification" dialog, saying

"Microsoft Visual Studio is waiting for an operation to complete. If you regularly encounter this delay during normal usage please report this problem to Microsoft. Please include a description of the work you were doing in Microsoft Visual Studio and when possible instructions on how to reproduce this delay. ..."

I try the "Switch To..." and "Continue Waiting" buttons, but I never get out of the problem.

What can I do to correct this situation?

I am using Windows XP service pack 3. I have Visual Studio 2003 and Visual Studio 2010 (with service pack 1) installed.

Friday, March 25, 2011 8:31 PM

Answers

• Hi OldGrouch,

Thanks for your post.

It can be caused by other macros in your Macros IDE,

you can try to remove all the other custom macros module and create a new one,

let's see if it helps.

Ziwei Chen [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

• Marked as answer by Victor_Chen Monday, April 4, 2011 9:58 AM
    Monday, March 28, 2011 7:20 AM

All replies

• More information: I tried several clicks on the "Switch To" and "Continue" buttons, but the dialog reappeared with almost no delay. (The "Cancel Operation" button was greyed out.) I finally used Process Explorer to send a "close window" to devenv.exe. Afterwards, I received this dialog:

Microsoft Visual Studio Macros has lost the link to Visual Studio.
    Your work will be exported to C:\Documents and Settings\Frank\My Documents when you quit the application

Friday, March 25, 2011 8:39 PM
  • Hi OldGrouch,

Thanks for your post.

It can be caused by other macros in your Macros IDE,

you can try to remove all the other custom macros module and create a new one,

let's see if it helps.

Ziwei Chen [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

• Marked as answer by Victor_Chen Monday, April 4, 2011 9:58 AM
    Monday, March 28, 2011 7:20 AM