Remote Backup Access Denied RRS feed

• Question

• I created a maintenance plan to do the backup on my machine and created a job using CmdExec command: copy  e:\\*.bak  \\remote\backup\  but the copy job fail each time.

I know that command works fine when i run it from a batch file but does not seem to work from the job in sql server.  I try to map the remote machine to a drive and used the drive in the copy statementcopy e:\backup\*.bak  q:\backup\ but it still does not work.  Is there something I need to do inside sql server?
    Tuesday, March 27, 2007 6:44 PM

Answers

• Change the network service to Local user/local system account. if you have domain, create a domain account for exclusively for sql services and start services with that account.

from below mentioned Link :

1Important   Microsoft recommends that you not use the Network Service account for the SQL Server or the SQL Server Agent services. Local User or Domain User accounts are more appropriate for these SQL Server services.

Read this first :

ms-help://MS.SQLCC.v9/MS.SQLSVR.v9.en/instsql9/html/309b9dac-0b3a-4617-85ef-c4519ce9d014.htm

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms684272.aspx

Madhu

Thursday, March 29, 2007 7:09 AM

All replies

• I just read that Local System Account does not have remote access capability, can someone tells me how can I change this account?
    Tuesday, March 27, 2007 7:16 PM
  • The backup runs under the security context of the SQL Server service account.  So, you need to make sure that account has rights to any directory that you want to send backups to.  You change the service account using the SQL Server Configuration Manager.
    Tuesday, March 27, 2007 8:25 PM
  • So I tried to change the built in account to Network Service but it wont let me, it give an error "The process terminated unexpectedly" so i'm looking into how to create and join a domain.
    Tuesday, March 27, 2007 8:56 PM
  • Change the network service to Local user/local system account. if you have domain, create a domain account for exclusively for sql services and start services with that account.

from below mentioned Link :

1Important   Microsoft recommends that you not use the Network Service account for the SQL Server or the SQL Server Agent services. Local User or Domain User accounts are more appropriate for these SQL Server services.

Read this first :

ms-help://MS.SQLCC.v9/MS.SQLSVR.v9.en/instsql9/html/309b9dac-0b3a-4617-85ef-c4519ce9d014.htm

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms684272.aspx

Madhu

Thursday, March 29, 2007 7:09 AM