How to create a parallel workflow in sharepoint RRS feed

• Question

• i am having a  reqmnt  which , when a user submits a  custom webpart , triggers a                custom statemachine workflow which assigns task to mulitple spgroups  simultaneously.

something like : 

task_1  shud b created /assigned for HRManager for educational  verifications

task_2  shud b  created /assigned for background team for  backgroundverifications

task_3 shud b  created /assigned for LAN ADMIN team for getting access to the specific lan group

i think its possible only with the help of parallel workflow.[correct me if i am wrong]

any sample code/links/pointers highly appreciated...

thnx

shankar
    • Edited by DADasRF Wednesday, August 24, 2011 6:28 AM changed desc
    Wednesday, August 24, 2011 6:26 AM

Answers

• I don't think you'll need a state machine workflow for such a simple business process. In fact I wouldn't be looking at creating a visual studio workflow, the SharePoint designer actions are more than capable of developing a similar system.

Instead of creating a custom webpart, just use a simple custom list which can be accessed through a list view web part for users to submit the information that starts the workflow, then run a List workflow on item creation. All of which can be done through SharePoint designer.

Overweight SharePoint addict!
    • Marked as answer by Shimin Huang Friday, September 2, 2011 6:30 AM
    Friday, August 26, 2011 10:08 PM
  • Yes, there is a parallel option in SPD. In the ribbon it shows up as "Parallel Block" and allows all actions inserted within to run in parallel as the name suggests.

There's a handy guide of actions for SPD workflows here, although it doesn't show the Parallel action in the list, trust me it is there. http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepoint-designer-help/workflow-actions-in-sharepoint-designer-2010-a-quick-reference-guide-HA010376961.aspx

Saturday, August 27, 2011 5:48 PM

All replies

• I don't think you'll need a state machine workflow for such a simple business process. In fact I wouldn't be looking at creating a visual studio workflow, the SharePoint designer actions are more than capable of developing a similar system.

Instead of creating a custom webpart, just use a simple custom list which can be accessed through a list view web part for users to submit the information that starts the workflow, then run a List workflow on item creation. All of which can be done through SharePoint designer.

Friday, August 26, 2011 10:08 PM
  • thnx for the reply, Cimares.

i dont have much exposure to designer / workflow.So can this be achieved by  designing a parallel wf using a SP Designer 2010.?

i was doubtful because since the tasks are in parallel.

trutrutr
    Saturday, August 27, 2011 2:33 AM
  • Yes, there is a parallel option in SPD. In the ribbon it shows up as "Parallel Block" and allows all actions inserted within to run in parallel as the name suggests.

There's a handy guide of actions for SPD workflows here, although it doesn't show the Parallel action in the list, trust me it is there. http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepoint-designer-help/workflow-actions-in-sharepoint-designer-2010-a-quick-reference-guide-HA010376961.aspx

Saturday, August 27, 2011 5:48 PM
  • Thanaks again for the reply Cimares.

ok, i am having a doubt here.in my reqmnt when the first task task_1 is assigned to HRMgr, instead simply approve/reject here he can send back for some details to the initiator. and this can happen if the task is  pending with backgroud team also. if they are not satisfied by the details  provided by the initiator they can send back to the requestor again and force him to resubmit the details.

Does SPD supports this scenario? also once its deployed into the Prod.its difficult  to modify AFAIK. how to handle the situation, if client want me to add one more parallel activity in the WF, so i have to recraee the SP D Wf again. 

SHANKAR
    • Edited by DADasRF Sunday, August 28, 2011 11:53 AM l
    Sunday, August 28, 2011 11:46 AM