Using BizTalk and thinking to move to Azure App Platform for integration scenarios RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, 

I am completely new to the Azure/Logic apps. I read some threads/articles about Azure and BizTalk Logic Apps online. 

Based on below statement, we run Orchestrations in Onprimise env. only but not in Azure?

"Control flow in the Logic Apps is still limited, the BizTalk Orchestrations allow you to run much more complex scenario where you use control shapes like the Listen Shape, Parallel Shape or Loop."

If I would like to move entire BizTalk onPrimise environemt to Azure completely (all artifacts... Schemas, Maps, Pipeline and Orchestrations). Is this possible?

Please excuse me if my question sounds so dumb. :)

Tuesday, November 27, 2018 6:27 PM

Answers

• Hi ,

If you take my words ,Logic Apps is great platform to work with cloud and on-premise resource .

Logic Apps are simple and easy to get started .In Logic Apps you can connect to verity of other azure server-less components like functions  ,data factory ,event grid ,service bus and many more  to work with massive scale enterprise integration . 

If you have any special business case which you want to describe here ,we would be happy to help you out 

If this answers your question please mark it accordingly. If this post is helpful, please vote as helpful by clicking the upward arrow mark next to my reply

Wednesday, November 28, 2018 12:08 AM
  • Well...no.  Maybe that was written 2-3 years ago, but right now (Fall 2018) it's simply untrue.

Any flow scenario you can implement with BizTalk can be implemented with Azure. You just need to bring in the appropriate services to compliment Logic Apps, most common being Service Bus.

Having said that, you can't just move your BizTalk apps to Azure :(.  They essentially have to be refactored on Azure services.

Wednesday, November 28, 2018 12:25 PM

All replies

• Looks like you yourself have posted the answer in the bold :)

The move completely from On Premises BizTalk to Logic Apps in cloud will depend upon the nature of your intehrations. If you are integrating with legacy systems like mainframe, SAP etc, then you are better off with BizTalk.

Logic Apps as a platofrm is evolving each day and lot and lots of new features are added to it, but there are some scenarios that only a matured product like BizTalk can handle.

This being said, with BizTalk 2016 and its feature packs you now have the ability to connect you on premises system to the systems in cloud with what we call as hybrid integration.

My Suggestion: Evaluate the requirement and the nature of your integrations and then make a decision.

IF you have any specific questions, then let us know.

Mandar Dharmadhikari

Tuesday, November 27, 2018 10:47 PM
  • Hi ,

If you take my words ,Logic Apps is great platform to work with cloud and on-premise resource .

Logic Apps are simple and easy to get started .In Logic Apps you can connect to verity of other azure server-less components like functions  ,data factory ,event grid ,service bus and many more  to work with massive scale enterprise integration . 

If you have any special business case which you want to describe here ,we would be happy to help you out 

If this answers your question please mark it accordingly. If this post is helpful, please vote as helpful by clicking the upward arrow mark next to my reply

Wednesday, November 28, 2018 12:08 AM
  • Hi,

There are many shapes which does not support or work on Azure environment this is the fundamental limitation on moving the BizTalk On-Prem to Azure Completely.

Hybrid Integrations are the best possible solution to your query where you will need to identify the artifacts can/can not be moved and depends on that can create the BizTalk Solution Architecture.

Note: BizTalk On-Prem Architecture and Azure Architecture is totally different and it need deep analysis.

HTH

Hope this Helps!!!! Regards, Note: Please Mark As Answered if you satisfy with Reply.

Wednesday, November 28, 2018 10:07 AM
  • Well...no.  Maybe that was written 2-3 years ago, but right now (Fall 2018) it's simply untrue.

Any flow scenario you can implement with BizTalk can be implemented with Azure. You just need to bring in the appropriate services to compliment Logic Apps, most common being Service Bus.

Having said that, you can't just move your BizTalk apps to Azure :(.  They essentially have to be refactored on Azure services.

Wednesday, November 28, 2018 12:25 PM