Where could I buy Windows 10 IoT Enterprise license RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, everyone.

Our company trying to use IoT enterprise as OS of our new products. It seems there is no standalone image or iso for IoT enterprise. And I'm told that IoT enterprise is just a special license of Windows 10 enterprise for desktop.

So I'm wondering where could I get the license.

BTW, is it that we just install with the Windows 10 Enterprise iso, and then activate with the IoT enterprise license?

I'm thinking what would happen after the license being activated. Will some feature missing or added?

Coding for living

Wednesday, November 18, 2015 3:42 AM

Answers

All replies

• I don't think there is such a thing. Windows 10 has 7 editions: Home, Mobile, Pro, Enterprise, Education, Mobile Enterprise, and IoT Core.

I saw some article about VXL Industries LTD and something called Windows IoT Enterprise. But its not this.

Wednesday, November 18, 2015 6:23 AM
  • Agree, I'm guessing IoT Enterprise is indeed just a special license of windows 10 Enterprise desktop version.

According to Microsoft, the hardware requirement of IoT Enterprise is the same with windows 10 Enterprise of desktop version

The life goes on the way you live.

• Edited by Ryan.Wen Wednesday, November 18, 2015 8:47 AM
    Wednesday, November 18, 2015 6:42 AM
  • Windows 10 IoT Enterprise is essentially Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB with additional lockdown features.

To get more information on how to buy licenses, please contact one of the Windows Embedded Distributors like

- Avnet: http://www.msembedded.biz/en/embedded-software/windows-10-iot-enterprise
    - Elbacom: http://www.elbacom.com/embedded/products/w10/enterprise

MVP Windows Embedded

Wednesday, November 18, 2015 7:44 AM
  • Thanks Michael. The link to elbacom.com is quite helpful.

Could I know that is there a standalone iso for IoT enterprise, which the license would apply on?

Or would I just install Windows 10 Professional (or Enterprise?) desktop version, and then apply the license to activate it?

Coding for living

Wednesday, November 18, 2015 8:54 AM
  • There is a standalone Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB ISO. You can get the ISO from the distributor or from MSDN subscription.

Sean Liming - Book Author: Starter Guide SIM (WEI), Pro Guide to WE8S & WES 7, Pro Guide to POS for .NET - www.annabooks.com / www.seanliming.com

Wednesday, November 18, 2015 3:48 PM
  • Thanks Sean. I've read several articles about IoT from you which are quite helpful.

I could see Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB iso from MSDN subscription, but I used to think it's not for IoT.

As stated in your article "Windows 10 IoT – The Big Reboot", is it that I just need to install Enterprise LTSB DESKTOP version, and then get a license for IoT Enterprise?

Coding for living

Thursday, November 19, 2015 12:49 AM
  • I just posted an Addendum to my System Image Manager book that covers Windows 10 IoT Enterprise - http://annabooks.com/Articles/Articles_IoT10/Windows-10-IoT-E-Addendum-1%20Rev1.4.pdf. The name confusion is explained.

To answer your question: Yes you will want to use Enterprise LTSB DESKTOP, and get the IoT Enterprise license. You can use System Image Manager from the ADK to create a configuration set / custom installer with the license key already installed.

Sean Liming - Book Author: Starter Guide SIM (WEI), Pro Guide to WE8S & WES 7, Pro Guide to POS for .NET - www.annabooks.com / www.seanliming.com

Thursday, November 19, 2015 6:05 PM
  • Many thanks, Sean.

This is really helpful, since there is quite few info from Microsoft about IoT enterprise.

It seems Microsoft considers IoT Enterprise related info as confidential, don't know why.

Thanks again.

Coding for living

Friday, November 20, 2015 6:28 AM
  • It is not confidential. There is a break down in Sales and Marketing.

Friday, November 20, 2015 5:28 PM
  • Hi Everyone. This is very confusing. I really appreciate your documents at Annabooks.com. And these community threads on Microsoft.com. However, the problem, I believe everyone is running into, is that Microsoft does not have an official document on their site (TechNet, MSDN or otherwise) that walks a customer through deploying Windows 10 IoT Enterprise in their environment as starting with a download of Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB. Furthermore, the differentiation of OEM vs Volume Licensing gets to be even more frustrating when you are a Desktop Engineer in a Business that is not in the Tech industry and just wants to deploy the IoT version because that is what Microsoft is telling them is needed! I work for a company that gets these questions and we have a policy that requires us to send the Microsoft document on one of Microsoft's website that backs up the information and so far, Microsoft has not produced anything that says Enterprise LTSB is IoT Enterprise. Again all your work here is appreciated Sean but your document easily gets confused with the Manufacturing OEM and distributor documents. And simply saying that if you are interested in the OEM version, ask a distributor like Avnet does not help a IT Admin that has been asked to get the IoT version and test it. I know technical documents have to cover all of the points, but if they could start with the perspective that these people asking have a job to do that is not for a distributor or manufacturer, we might save some confusion. So the questions are:

1. Where can I find a Microsoft Document that states that Windows 10 IoT Enterprise is actually Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB?

2. Where can I find a Microsoft Document that shows an IT Admin how to deploy Windows 10 IoT Enterprise on a device in their environment?

3. Does anyone know what the SKU is for the Windows 10 IoT Enterprise License? In other words, what SKU do I ask my Reseller to put on my Customer Pricing Sheet so I can purchase it?

Again, all of your information may have the answer, but there are many gaps when it comes to a Admin trying to find how to download and install Windows 10 IoT Enterprise.

All is very appreciated!

Sincerely

benmarshall

Wednesday, March 23, 2016 11:35 AM
  • Like I said in a previous post there is a breakdown in communication. During the past 5 to 6 years Microsoft went through multiple re-organizations. The dedicated Windows Embedded team was merge with the Windows Desktop group and all marketing activities were put under one single group. Slowly many of the original Windows Embedded folks have left Microsoft or have moved on to other things, which is a big loss in experience and a lack of continuity. Some people are still there but it appears they are not in charge and don't have much say in the communication.  The only site that explains the different IoT products is here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/WindowsForBusiness/windows-iot This doesn't clear up the LTSB is IoT.

When Windows 10 was released, MS said that IoT would be released as well. When I looked for it on MSDN, "Windows 10 IoT Enterprise" wasn't there. The folks at MS said it was there. Eventually, I had to ask someone and confirmed with the distributor that Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB is Windows 10 IoT Enterprise. Just a marketing name to align with the other IoT. This little knowledge is tribal. I hate to say this, but the distributor should know this information and be able to explain the licensing skus.

As far as tools, Microsoft has information on TechNet - https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/mt297512%28v=vs.85%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396, but the new ICD tool is problematic for Enterprise and the USMT approach is a crapshoot. The approach adds too many steps compared to SIM. Since ICD was designed for Windows Mobile and it is generation 1, I continue to use System Image Manager (SIM) to build images for .

Wednesday, March 23, 2016 3:33 PM
  • I would also suggest that you can procure from Arrow at http://ocs.arrow.com/msembedded/products/windows-10-iot/

• Edited by Ken Marlin Monday, February 13, 2017 5:24 PM
    Monday, February 13, 2017 5:24 PM
  • We have requested the same information from Microsoft. There needs to be more documentation around ioT enterprise,   the availability its usage with the OEMs, and links from the MS Site directing people how to get it, preferably from partners.
    Tuesday, February 14, 2017 1:30 PM
  • I did release a book on Windows 10 IoT Core - http://annabooks.com/Book_SGWin10IoTE.html

Sean Liming - Book Author: Starter Guide Windows 10 IoT Enterprise - www.annabooks.com / www.seanliming.com

Tuesday, February 14, 2017 4:31 PM
  • There is also Avnet who can help with getting the Windows 10 IoT license as well as training and support. Avnet can be reached at software@avnet.com.

Sean Liming - Book Author: Starter Guide Windows 10 IoT Enterprise - www.annabooks.com / www.seanliming.com

Tuesday, February 14, 2017 5:46 PM
  • Hello.

I have had some of the same questions...  Actually had a conference call today with an Avnet sales/engineer person that is in the embedded sales and work a lot with selling MS.  He said there is a Windows 10 IoT Enterprise download.  He stated that first step was to get agreement signed with MS, at that point we would have access to download the package.  He was able to explain the different packages and licensing, it was very helpful.  We are just starting the process. :)

Dan

Tuesday, February 14, 2017 10:41 PM
  • You have to sign the CLA and then get access to the MyOEM website. If you have an MSDN subscription the Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB ISO available there.

Wednesday, February 15, 2017 1:36 AM
  • Dan you can also work with Arrow as we are a distributor and I have many videos that will help you get started with Windows 10 IoT Enterprise. Check out my youtube channel at http://www.youtube.com/user/TheWindowsChamp    I can help you get the key and the media and quote you the pricing when ready.  I can also provide a document that will get you started on customizing the image.  Thanks Ken
    Thursday, February 16, 2017 8:04 PM
  • Reply on krishna@mdspacific.com
    Wednesday, September 27, 2017 5:51 AM