Can't Coded UI in Visual Studio 2015 RRS feed

• Question

• On Windows 10 (Insider Preview version 14342), i am trying to add a Coded UI project and tests to my Universal Windows Platform solution, and i get an error every time.

• Add New Project "Coded UI Test (Universal Windows)
    • Error message "Value cannot be null. Parameter name: SmallIcon" is displayed
    • Right click on recently added Coded UI Test project, and Add New Item
    • Select Test --> CodedUITest and click Add
    • Error Message "Error: this tempalte attempted to load component assembly 'Microsoft.VisualStudio.QualityTools.CodedUITestPackage'

Note, this is in Visual Studio 2015 with Update 2

Wednesday, May 11, 2016 2:41 PM

Answers

• So it turns out that CodedUI is only supported in the VS 2015 Enterprise sku, i was running Professional.  Not sure why Professional doesn't have CodedUI support, but that would be the problem.
    Friday, May 13, 2016 11:50 AM

All replies

• Hi Stephen C. Keefer,

Thanks for your post.

First try running your Visual Studio in Safe mode to Check whether some add-ins and extensions affect it (devenv /safemode)

Please try the following steps:

1.  Close all instances of Visual Studio.
    2.  Delete all files in AppData\Local\Microsoft\VisualStudio\14.0\ComponentModelCache and delete all files in AppData\Local\Temp
    3.  Restart, if that doesn’t work then start over with step 4.
    4.  From a Visual Studio Command Line do this operation: devenv /setup /ResetSkipPkgs

Since the error occurred when create a new code UI test(Windows) project, I suppose there might be something wrong wiht your project template.

Please try to restore the template in visual studio with the steps belwo:

1. Delete the ItemTemplatesCache, ProjectTemplatesCache folder (C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\Common7\IDE)

2. In the command prompt, navigate to the location of devenv.exe. This file is located in <Visual Studio Installation Path>\Common7\IDE.

3. Type "devenv /installvstemplates" and press Enter.

If above suggestions still no help. I suppose something is wrong wiht your VS2015 Update, try to do a repair of your VS then try it agian.

Best Regards,

Lake Xiao

• Edited by lake Xiao Thursday, May 12, 2016 2:51 AM
    Thursday, May 12, 2016 2:41 AM
  • Just tried all solutions provided above, including VS Repair, and error still remains.

Can you confirm that VS 2015 with update 2 running on Windows 10 Insider Build 14342, that you can create a CodedUI Project for a Universal Windows application.

Thanks much

Thursday, May 12, 2016 1:25 PM
  • Also, have now tried this on three machines, all running latest Insider Preview, and all have the same result.
    Thursday, May 12, 2016 8:18 PM
  • Hi Stephen C. Keefer,

Thanks for your response.

>>Can you confirm that VS 2015 with update 2 running on Windows 10 Insider Build 14342, that you can create a CodedUI Project for a Universal Windows application.

Yes, I can. My OS Build 10586. I can create the Code UI test(Universal Windows) project successfully in my VS2015 Enterprise Update2.

So please try to repair your Visual Studio at first. If still no help. Also try to update your windows if possible.

Best Regards,

Lake Xiao

• Edited by lake Xiao Friday, May 13, 2016 1:03 AM
    Friday, May 13, 2016 1:02 AM
  • So it turns out that CodedUI is only supported in the VS 2015 Enterprise sku, i was running Professional.  Not sure why Professional doesn't have CodedUI support, but that would be the problem.
    Friday, May 13, 2016 11:50 AM