none
Workflow Error: The trust relationship between the primary domain and the trusted domain failed. RRS feed

• Question

• When using the standard Request Approval workflow in the approvers field if you type a SharePoint group and leave the "Assign a single task to each group entered (Do not expand groups)." option unchecked.

After starting the workflow it terminates with the following error in the ULS log.

The trust relationship between the primary domain and the trusted domain failed.

I think this happens when SharePoint is trying to expand the Groups to list the individual users or while trying to find the SID for the users in the group, since it fails at "TranslateToSids". It works when an individual user is entered in the approvers list.

Here is the complete error message

WinWF Internal Error, terminating workflow Id# 773a1972-998f-4a74-9264-c8ee0e73a80f

System.SystemException: The trust relationship between the primary domain and the trusted domain failed.

at System.Security.Principal.NTAccount.TranslateToSids(IdentityReferenceCollection sourceAccounts, Boolean& someFailed) at System.Security.Principal.NTAccount.Translate(IdentityReferenceCollection sourceAccounts, Type targetType, Boolean& someFailed) at System.Security.Principal.NTAccount.Translate(IdentityReferenceCollection sourceAccounts, Type targetType, Boolean forceSuccess) at System.Security.Principal.NTAccount.Translate(Type targetType) at Microsoft.SharePoint.Utilities.SPUtility.GetPrincipalsInGroup(SPWeb web, String input, Int32 maxCount, Boolean& reachedMaxCount) at Microsoft.Office.Workflow.Utility.Contact.ExpandGroupRecursively(SPWeb web, String groupName, Dictionary`2 dict, Int32 maxCount, Boolean& reachedMaxCount) at Microsoft.Office.Workflow.Utility.Contact.ExpandGroups(SPWeb web, Contact[] reviewers, Int32 maxCount, Boolean& reachedMaxCount) at Microsoft.Office.Workflow.ReviewRouting.OnActivate(Object sender, ExternalDataEventArgs e) at System.Workflow.ComponentModel.Activity.RaiseGenericEvent[T](DependencyProperty dependencyEvent, Object sender, T e) at System.Workflow.Activities.HandleExternalEventActivity.RaiseEvent(Object[] args) at System.Workflow.Activities.HandleExternalEventActivity.Execute(ActivityExecutionContext executionContext) at System.Workflow.ComponentModel.ActivityExecutor`1.Execute(T activity, ActivityExecutionContext executionContext) at System.Workflow.ComponentModel.ActivityExecutor`1.Execute(Activity activity, ActivityExecutionContext executionContext) at System.Workflow.ComponentModel.ActivityExecutorOperation.Run(IWorkflowCoreRuntime workflowCoreRuntime) at System.Workflow.Runtime.Scheduler.Run()

http://blog.camantrix.com/sharepoint

Friday, June 1, 2007 6:25 PM

All replies

• Hello,

I'm having exactly the same problem. Did you ever solve this?

Sven

Thursday, October 4, 2007 1:41 PM
  • Did you configure the profile import connection in SharedServices configuration?  Try configuring it with your domain and run a "full profile import" and see if the problem still exists?

-Sai Dasari

Wednesday, February 20, 2008 6:55 PM
  •  
    Hi,

I am wondering if you have resolved the issue. We are having exactly the same problem.

setting up the profile import and run a full import did not solve the problem.

The problem occurs only when the following both conditions are met.

1. A SharePoint group (AD groups are fine) is included in the approver list.
    2. The following workflow setting is uncheked. -> Assign a single task to each group entered (Do not expand groups)

Do you have any suggestions or solution for this problem?

Thank you in advance,

Joon

Sunday, August 24, 2008 1:32 AM
  • Hi,
     I'm just responding to this as I have finally come across the resolution that has been provided by Microsoft. The fix is applied in a cumulative update that has only been released in the last couple of weeks. See the following links below for the information. The fix is available in the WSS 3.0 update.

I'm not sure if the fix for this issue is available as a separate KB download rather than a large cumulative update, but I'm just about to try and find it.

Regards,
    Jason.

http://blogs.msdn.com/spfargo/default.aspx
    http://blogs.msdn.com/spfargo/archive/2008/11/21/approval-workflows-are-failing-when-sharepoint-is-in-a-child-domain.aspx

Wednesday, December 31, 2008 1:29 PM