VS 2012 Designer Exception from Xaml Editor

Question

• Apologies if this is not the right section.

Went through the rest of the forum sections and the only one that matched, has since been locked down.

I've got a Clean install of Windows 8 on an x64 machine. Installed VS 2012.

Added new Windows Store Project -> Blank App

Double clicked on the MainPage.xaml file from the project to open it. Wait about 30 seconds for the designer to load and then I get this exception in the designer

Microsoft.Expression.DesignHost.Isolation.Remoting.RemoteException
    Process has exited, so the requested information is not available.
       at System.Diagnostics.Process.EnsureState(State state)
       at System.Diagnostics.Process.get_VirtualMemorySize64()
       at Microsoft.Expression.DesignSurface.DesignerService.OnPrimaryProjectTargetFileChanged(Object sender, EventArgs args)
       at System.EventHandler`1.Invoke(Object sender, TEventArgs e)
       at Microsoft.Expression.DesignHost.Isolation.Remoting.LocalEvent`3.<>c__DisplayClass19.<Invoke>b__18()
       at Microsoft.Expression.DesignHost.Isolation.Remoting.STAMarshaler.Call.InvokeWorker()
       at Microsoft.Expression.DesignHost.Isolation.Remoting.STAMarshaler.Call.Invoke(Boolean waitingInExternalCall)
       at Microsoft.Expression.DesignHost.Isolation.Remoting.STAMarshaler.InvokeCall(Call call)
       at Microsoft.Expression.DesignHost.Isolation.Remoting.STAMarshaler.ProcessQueue(CallQueue queue)
       at Microsoft.Expression.DesignHost.Isolation.Remoting.STAMarshaler.ProcessInboundQueue(Int32 identity)
       at Microsoft.Expression.DesignHost.Isolation.Remoting.STAMarshaler.ProcessMessage(Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, Boolean elevatedQuery, Boolean& handled)
       at Microsoft.Expression.DesignHost.Isolation.Remoting.STAMarshaler.OnWindowMessage(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled)
       at Microsoft.Expression.DesignHost.Isolation.Remoting.MessageOnlyHwndWrapper.WndProc(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam)
       at MS.Win32.UnsafeNativeMethods.DispatchMessage(MSG& msg)
       at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.PushFrameImpl(DispatcherFrame frame)
       at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.PushFrame(DispatcherFrame frame)
       at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.Run()
       at System.Windows.Application.RunDispatcher(Object ignore)
       at System.Windows.Application.RunInternal(Window window)
       at System.Windows.Application.Run(Window window)
       at System.Windows.Application.Run()
       at Microsoft.Expression.DesignHost.Isolation.IsolationProcess.RunApplication()
       at Microsoft.Expression.DesignHost.Isolation.IsolationProcess.DesignProcessViewProvider.<>c__DisplayClass7.<applicationView_Activated>b__6()
       at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart_Context(Object state)
       at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
       at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
       at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
       at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart()

Anyone with similar experiences?

Thanks.

Thursday, August 30, 2012 8:18 PM

All replies

• We can take a look, but will need more information to figure out what is wrong. Could you please get in touch with me directly at unnir at Microsoft dot com?

Thanks!

Unni Ravindranathan, Program Manager, Microsoft Expression This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Friday, August 31, 2012 4:29 PM
  • Thanks,

I'll make sure that I can reproduce the issue first, in the event it was a once off problem.

Friday, August 31, 2012 5:24 PM