none
X64 version of 'Visual Studio 2012 Express for Desktop' RRS feed

• Question

• Visual Studio 2012 Express for Desktop reportedly is supported under Windows 7 (X86 and X64).  When I installed Visual Studio, it was added to C:\Program Files (X86) rather than C:\Program Files which is for X64.  (I have a Windows 7 64 bit laptop.) 

I just tried installing the X86 version of the Remote Debugger, to match the X86 version of Visual Studio that was installed.  However, the Remote Debugger install failed with a message that said ‘Please use the version for X64 platforms’. 

I therefore installed the X64 version of the Remote Debugger and found that the executable (msvsmon.exe) was added to two separate folders under C:\Program FilesVisual Studio.  One folder was named X86 and another named X64 Both executables run together as separate processes in Task Manager. 

However, when I try to connect to the either Remote Debugger process in Visual Studio, the system just hangs.  In fact, the list of available processes did not even appear.  I’m assuming this is because Visual Studio was installed to C:\Program Files(X86) and the Remote Debugger could only be installed in C:\Program Files.

My question is this - is it possible to install a X64 version of Visual Studio 2012 Express for Desktop?  I don't recall seeing this as an option when I previously installed Visual Studio  If this is possible, it might resolve the issue about not connecting to the X64 Remote Debugger.

Thanks.

Friday, June 6, 2014 1:04 AM

Answers

• Hi Bontrager,

No 64 bit VS.

Reference:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ricom/archive/2009/06/10/visual-studio-why-is-there-no-64-bit-version.aspx

In addition, the remote debugger tool version would be related to your operating system version.

For example:

The remote debugging components are installed on the remote computer in the

• C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 11.0\Common7\IDE\Remote Debugger folder on x64 computers.

• C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 11.0\Common7\IDE\Remote Debugger folder on x86 computers.

Best Regards,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Friday, June 6, 2014 8:57 AM
  • Hi Bontrager,

One thread for one issue, so it would be better if you open up a new thread for the new question. In this way, our discussion here will not deviate too much from the original issue. This will make answer searching in the forum easier and be beneficial to other community members as well.

In addition, the real issue is that we would make sure that whether the remote debugging tool is supported in this express version. As far as I know, the VS2013 Express for Windows Desktop supports it, but for VS2012, I doubt that it still has some limitations.

Reference:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-hk/download/details.aspx?id=38184

http://www.microsoft.com/en-hk/download/details.aspx?id=40781

Connection to the remote debugger and profiler tools is supported in Visual Studio Ultimate 2012, Visual Studio Premium 2012, Visual Studio Professional 2012, and Visual Studio Express 2012 for Windows 8. 

Connecting to the remote debugger and profiler that are included in the Remote Tools for Visual Studio 2013 is supported in Visual Studio Ultimate 2013, Visual Studio Premium 2013, Visual Studio Professional 2013, Visual Studio Express 2013 for Windows, and Visual Studio Express 2013 for Windows Desktop.

Best Regards,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Monday, June 9, 2014 3:13 AM

All replies

• Hi Bontrager,

No 64 bit VS.

Reference:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ricom/archive/2009/06/10/visual-studio-why-is-there-no-64-bit-version.aspx

In addition, the remote debugger tool version would be related to your operating system version.

For example:

The remote debugging components are installed on the remote computer in the

• C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 11.0\Common7\IDE\Remote Debugger folder on x64 computers.

• C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 11.0\Common7\IDE\Remote Debugger folder on x86 computers.

Best Regards,

Friday, June 6, 2014 8:57 AM
  • Hi Jack,

Thanks for your response.  I believe what you meant is:

• C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 11.0\Common7\IDE\Remote Debugger folder on x86 (32 bit) computers.
    • C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 11.0\Common7\IDE\Remote Debugger folder on x64 (64 bit) computers.

I have a few additional questions:

1. Since I have a 64 bit laptop (x64) and VS is installed in the C:\Program Files (x86) path and the Remote Debugger is installed in the C:\Program Files path, might it still be possible to attach to the Remote Debugger from VS?  I found that the Remote Debugger executable (mvsvmon.exe) actually was installed in two separate folders - x86 and x64 in the C:\Program Files path.  Might it therefore be possible to attach to the mvsvmon.exe in the x86 folder from VS?  (When I click 'Attach to Process' in VS, the system just hangs and no processes are listed even though the two mvsvmon.exe's can be seen running as processes in Task Manager.)

2.  Might it be possible to simply copy the x86 folder contents (including mvsvmon.exe) from the C:\Program Files path to the C:\Program Files (x86) path?

3.  Might it be possible to run mvsvmon.exe from either the x86 or x64 folder in the C:\Program Files path in compatibility mode to make it available to VS?It would seem that if the answer to all three questions is 'no', it simply would not be possible to use the Remote Debugger with VS on a 64 bit laptop.

Thanks again.

Friday, June 6, 2014 2:59 PM
  • Hi Bontrager,

One thread for one issue, so it would be better if you open up a new thread for the new question. In this way, our discussion here will not deviate too much from the original issue. This will make answer searching in the forum easier and be beneficial to other community members as well.

In addition, the real issue is that we would make sure that whether the remote debugging tool is supported in this express version. As far as I know, the VS2013 Express for Windows Desktop supports it, but for VS2012, I doubt that it still has some limitations.

Reference:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-hk/download/details.aspx?id=38184

http://www.microsoft.com/en-hk/download/details.aspx?id=40781

Connection to the remote debugger and profiler tools is supported in Visual Studio Ultimate 2012, Visual Studio Premium 2012, Visual Studio Professional 2012, and Visual Studio Express 2012 for Windows 8. 

Connecting to the remote debugger and profiler that are included in the Remote Tools for Visual Studio 2013 is supported in Visual Studio Ultimate 2013, Visual Studio Premium 2013, Visual Studio Professional 2013, Visual Studio Express 2013 for Windows, and Visual Studio Express 2013 for Windows Desktop.

Best Regards,

Monday, June 9, 2014 3:13 AM