Win10 driver build error RRS feed

• Question

• I have a WDK10 driver project.

The driver structure is shown below:

OmsPci (Solution):

OmsPciCoInstaller (Project): Builds OmePciCoInstaller.dll

OmsPci1 (Project): Builds OmsPci1.sys

Package (Project): references OmsPciCoInstaller project and OmsPci1 project

In order to resolve a build error of the below, I included a post-build event in the CoInstaller project that copies the output DLL to the "$(SolutionDir)x64\Debug\Package\" directory so that the INF file can locate the DLL during the project build. The following command is what I used to accomplish this: copy /Y "$(SolutionDir)coinstaller\x64\Debug\OmsPciCoInstaller.dll" "$(SolutionDir)x64\Debug\Package\OmsPciCoInstaller.dll". During project build, I encounter the following error:

Errors

2>  22.9.1: omspcicoinstaller.dll in [omspci1_inst_coinstaller_copyfiles] of \omspci.inf is missing or cannot be decompressed from source media.  Please verify all path values specified in SourceDisksNames, SouceDisksFiles, and CopyFiles sections resolve to the actual location of the file, and are expressed in terms relative to the location of the inf.

This is the same error I receive before I added the post-build event, so I am having difficulty finding the root cause of this error. What has become more perplexing is that I made use of this same solution with the copy post-build event in a release driver configuration resulting in a successful build. I am not certain so far what the difference is between Release and Debug builds.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Tuesday, July 12, 2016 4:53 PM

Answers

• Does your Package project have the other two projects as dependencies?  This looks like OmsPciCoInstaller is not finishing building before the Package project starts.  Remember build is a parallel process using all the cores on the system.

Don Burn Windows Driver Consulting Website: http://www.windrvr.com

Tuesday, July 12, 2016 6:16 PM

All replies

• Does your Package project have the other two projects as dependencies?  This looks like OmsPciCoInstaller is not finishing building before the Package project starts.  Remember build is a parallel process using all the cores on the system.

Don Burn Windows Driver Consulting Website: http://www.windrvr.com

Tuesday, July 12, 2016 6:16 PM
  • Hi Don,

I appreciate your response. My Package project does have the other two projects as dependencies; after dropping a context on one of the projects and selecting "Project Dependencies..." under "Build Dependencies", the only dependency boxes checked are the two projects under the Package project. Also, after reading that these are built in a parallel process, and researching online, I changed the "maximum number of parallel project builds" setting under "Tools"->"Options" from 4 to 1. I can now see that the projects are being built sequentially OmsPciCoInstaller->OmsPci1->Package which I would imagine results in a more predictable build sequence in my case with only 3 projects.

After a little more work, I was able to get a complete driver build. The file copy it appears was unnecessary, I turned off the Inf2Cat option for the coinstaller and OmsPci1 projects and enabled it in the Package project when all files are combined in a common directory. I still had the parallel build projects set to one since I don't require parallel execution.

Again, thank you very much for your response.

Tuesday, July 12, 2016 10:55 PM