none
consistent error 53 network path not found with storage file service

Question

• I am following the instructions here:

http://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/articles/storage-dotnet-how-to-use-files/

Everything seems to work until I try to map the drive to my storage account with the net use command:

net use z: \\<storage-account>.file.core.windows.net\<share-name>

This consistently comes back with network path not found for my storage account and share name. 

Note i _can_ use the other commands, like Get-AzureStorageFile to see a directory listing from the root. 

I don't understand why I can't map a drive with net use. I have also tried programmatically, with the RedDog.Storage storage library. I get the same result, it fails in the call to WNetAddConnection2. 

Any tips on this problem? My paths, storage account name, and key are all correct I have checked them 99 kajillion times. Something else is going on. 

Thanks,

J

Saturday, December 13, 2014 8:44 PM

Answers

• Not sure if you're trying to mount a share from your local computer or in the VM in Azure but if you're trying to mount a share from your local computer, then it won't work. You can only mount a share from a VM running in Azure. Moreover VM from where you're trying to mount must be in the same region as that of the storage account.

Hope this helps.

• Marked as answer by jcb9000 Monday, December 15, 2014 1:15 AM
    Sunday, December 14, 2014 3:46 AM

All replies

• Not sure if you're trying to mount a share from your local computer or in the VM in Azure but if you're trying to mount a share from your local computer, then it won't work. You can only mount a share from a VM running in Azure. Moreover VM from where you're trying to mount must be in the same region as that of the storage account.

Hope this helps.

• Marked as answer by jcb9000 Monday, December 15, 2014 1:15 AM
    Sunday, December 14, 2014 3:46 AM
  • Thanks for the info...it was actually partially pilot error (attempting to connect from a local machine).

I got it working from an Azure VM (IaaS), but at the time I posted my question, I was attempting to mount the drive from a remote desktop session into a running cloud service VM (Paas). I never did get that to work at a PowerShell prompt; it's still a mystery as to why net use comes back with error 53.

However, I did get it working programmatically, so now I can map the drive during my worker role startup code.  

Thanks again..

J

Monday, December 15, 2014 1:15 AM