[W8.1]inJS & Windows 10 Support RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, 
    I had this error (warning) after updating to Windows 10 and VS 2105, my current project used to work well with the previous version of WinJS and VS

The method Windows.UI.ApplicationSettings.SettingsPane.getForCurrentView has been deprecated. SettingsPane is deprecated and might not work on all platforms. For more info, see MSDN.
    eval code (2) (1,7)
    The event Windows.UI.ApplicationSettings.SettingsPane.add_CommandsRequested has been deprecated. SettingsPane is deprecated and might not work on all platforms. For more info, see MSDN.
    eval code (3) (1,7)

The errors happen when creating new solution, none of my code added. I'm using WinJS 4.1.0, Does it fully support Windows 10 app?, I see the fullscreen button (not maximize button) not shown when debugging app.

Any help would be appreciated  

Saturday, August 15, 2015 10:49 AM

Answers

• Remember that windows 10 apps will run on windows, phone, IOT, and Hololens when released.  The settings pane does not make sense on all the possible platforms
    Saturday, August 15, 2015 7:24 PM
  • Thanks for the info. I think it is safe for using this version of WinJS?, however I will test the app carefully for publishing on the store.  

Hello Teo-Nguyen,

Please see: What’s new for developers in Windows 10

>>The method Windows.UI.ApplicationSettings.SettingsPane.getForCurrentView has been >>deprecated. SettingsPane is deprecated and might not work on all platforms. For more info, >>see MSDN. eval code (2) (1,7)

Please see: SettingsPane.GetForCurrentView

as per documentation: SettingsPane may be altered or unavailable for releases after Windows 10. Instead of using a SettingsPane, integrate settings options into the app experience. For more info, see Guidelines for app settings 

>> I see the fullscreen button (not maximize button) not shown when debugging app.

For this you can request full screen mode with the ApplicationView.TryEnterFullScreenMode method.

With Regards,

Krunal Parekh

Thanks MSDN Community Support Please remember to Mark as Answer the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

Monday, August 17, 2015 7:39 AM

All replies

• Remember that windows 10 apps will run on windows, phone, IOT, and Hololens when released.  The settings pane does not make sense on all the possible platforms
    Saturday, August 15, 2015 7:24 PM
  • Thanks for the info. I think it is safe for using this version of WinJS?, however I will test the app carefully for publishing on the store.  
    Sunday, August 16, 2015 2:45 AM

Hello Teo-Nguyen,

Please see: What’s new for developers in Windows 10

>>The method Windows.UI.ApplicationSettings.SettingsPane.getForCurrentView has been >>deprecated. SettingsPane is deprecated and might not work on all platforms. For more info, >>see MSDN. eval code (2) (1,7)

Please see: SettingsPane.GetForCurrentView

as per documentation: SettingsPane may be altered or unavailable for releases after Windows 10. Instead of using a SettingsPane, integrate settings options into the app experience. For more info, see Guidelines for app settings 

>> I see the fullscreen button (not maximize button) not shown when debugging app.

For this you can request full screen mode with the ApplicationView.TryEnterFullScreenMode method.

With Regards,

Krunal Parekh

Thanks MSDN Community Support Please remember to Mark as Answer the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

Monday, August 17, 2015 7:39 AM
  • The issue is even with a totally blank project that doesn't attempt to load the settings pane at all still triggers this notification. 

The blank app template with winJs 4.0 still causes this error and as it's in an eval I can't find where it's being called to fix it. I've already upgraded to winJs 4.4 and it's still throwing the error. 

What in the blank template is calling these items and how can I remove them?

I'm a bit upset with the switch to windows 10 how abandoned the javascript side feels. It seems like you are pushing folks to either work in C# or Cordova... 

Thursday, November 5, 2015 10:44 PM
  • I have exactly the same Problem. This error is thrown in my App though my Code does not Access the Settings pane. How can this be fixed ?

Regards. Martin Klein

Wednesday, November 11, 2015 6:34 PM
  • I can't figure out why a Moderator and Microsoft employee can't read an entire question and properly answer it. Instead I see edits and 2 answers that miss the vital point of the questions in the first place. This happens when a new project is created and run with no additional code, the reason isn't because the OP inserted this deprecated code into a file, it is because this is in the write protected file "base.js".
    Wednesday, January 18, 2017 12:49 PM