none
Saving multipage document that contains header/footer as text RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to save a multipage Word document as plain text, and I'm seeing inconsistent results when the document contains a Header/Footer with the page number. I started trying to figure it out just through the Word front end, and it looks like when you save a document as text, it writes out all the selectable text, and at the bottom it writes out the header/footer of the page you're currently looking at. So if you're looking at page 1 and save as text, you get the first page's header/footer. If you're looking at page 2 and save as text, you get the second page's header/footer.

Is this intentional? I couldn't find any save as options pertaining to this behavior.

Wednesday, March 6, 2013 5:08 PM

Answers

• What you describe sounds about right. Plain text files don't support headers and footers, as you probably know, so Word has to make a choice what to put into the text.

Stefan Blom, Microsoft Word MVP
    Wednesday, March 6, 2013 7:05 PM

All replies

• What you describe sounds about right. Plain text files don't support headers and footers, as you probably know, so Word has to make a choice what to put into the text.

Stefan Blom, Microsoft Word MVP
    Wednesday, March 6, 2013 7:05 PM
  • ...So Word just grabs a header and footer and dumps it in there? And there's no way to control it? That seems...not ideal.
    Wednesday, March 6, 2013 8:49 PM
  • You can try this word library, it updates many conversion features recently, may it help you!
    Thursday, March 7, 2013 5:54 AM