Request for feedback - Aliases have been deprecated for some time and will be removed soon RRS feed

• Question

•   As documented in SQL Server BOL, aliases have been deprecated for some time and we are planning to remove them from the product in the next release.

We will greatly appreciate any feedback or comments regarding this change. We would like to know how our customers will be affected by this change and analyze if there is anything we can do to help you to make the transition easier.

Thanks a lot,

-Raul Garcia

SDE/T

SQL Server Engine

Friday, September 29, 2006 9:00 PM

Answers

•   The system SP sp_dropalias should be available on SQL Server 2008 for this purpose. Please, give it a try aqnd let us know if you experienced any problems.

I hope this information helps.

-Raul Garcia

SDE/T

SQL Server Engine

Monday, July 14, 2008 4:57 PM

All replies

• We are also planning on removing the following stored procedures in the next release:

sp_addgroup, sp_dropgroup, sp_changegroup, sp_helpgroup

Thanks,
    Jack Richins
    SDE
    SQL Server Engine

Monday, October 2, 2006 8:44 PM
  • Removing entirely from the SQL server may not be an option, will there be any documentation or MS article released to enable the new users to understand the 'new' concept in addition to BOL .
    Monday, November 27, 2006 11:17 AM
  •   Alias were superseded by roles in SQL Server 2000, for more information you can visit the following BOL pages:

·         Deprecated Database Engine Features in SQL Server 2005 (under “Features Not Supported in the Next Version of SQL Server” ): http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms143729.aspx

·         Create User (TSQL): http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms173463.aspx

·         Create role (TSQL): http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms187936.aspx

Hopefully these links will help on the migration process to use roles, and it will also help to clarify the nature of the planned change in the next release of SQL Server.  Thanks a lot, for your feedback.

-Raul Garcia

SDE/T

SQL Server Engine

Friday, December 1, 2006 12:59 AM
  • Raul
    Appreciate your links in this case, I will ask my users to understand to have more information and post back if any further details are required.

Thanks.
    Friday, December 1, 2006 11:34 PM
  • Raul

Have you had any feedback in this regard, would like to know more about it.

Tuesday, February 6, 2007 2:22 PM
  • We have not recieved any additional comments with regard to the removal of aliases.
    Tuesday, February 6, 2007 9:15 PM
  • I haven't run across a customer using aliases for a VERY long time.    I don't see any issues with removing them as far as any of my customers are concerned.
    Thursday, February 8, 2007 9:03 PM
  • I have not seen aliases in a very long time - I would have to go back to my SQL Server 6.5 days. I look after 70+ production SQL Server (6.5,7, 2000, & 2005) and will lose no sleep on this.

Monday, March 26, 2007 2:39 PM
  • I haven't seen them at any site in the past few years at least.

-Sue

Thursday, March 29, 2007 2:05 AM
  • So they will be removed in next release of SQL or service pack?
    Sunday, April 15, 2007 6:31 PM
  •   They will be removed on the next release.

-Raul Garcia

SDE/T

SQL Server Engine

Monday, April 16, 2007 10:00 PM
  •  

Removal would be a good thing as I get too many questions from junior developers about what I should and should not be using.

Monday, May 7, 2007 9:53 PM
  • I am fine with the change
    Friday, June 22, 2007 1:02 PM
  • Agreed. No issues here with removing them from Katmai.

Friday, August 24, 2007 3:15 PM
  • Does "release" equate to "service pack"?

My current assignment uses them very lightly. Will have to review your links - thanks.

Over my past four assignements (3 years) I see them sporatically mostly in those quick and dirty DBA scripts.

Friday, September 28, 2007 7:44 PM
  • Release equates to major release - SQL Server 2008 being the next major release.

Friday, September 28, 2007 9:52 PM
  • Our company is using a third party application that uses aliases. 

I have no argument with them being removed personally but I'll point the third party supplier in the direction of this thread.

Thanks

Thursday, January 24, 2008 10:53 AM
  • We do not use aliases here at the County of Marin.  However, we have purchased products that use aliases - grumble.  I'll be glad when they can't do this anymore.  We attempt to replace them.  Perhaps Microsoft can include a tool (e.g., procedure) to detect and replace aliases with a database user and place the user in the role being aliased.  Or perhaps create a role for the permissions required if there is no role available? 

If a login is aliased to an owner of an object to avoid permission checks, then the replacement will need an option to avoid deny permissions.  For example, if public has deny selected, being a member of db_owner group will not be the same as being the database owner.  New designs can avoid this by not using deny on public, but I do not know how you would fix this on existing systems. 

Randy

Wednesday, February 6, 2008 1:52 AM
  • I used aliases and still use them, but it's not that big trouble to avoid them.

Anyway, I have this kind of problem: I attached some databases to my SQL Server 2005 instance; they were already in the 2005 format, but they contained an old user mapping coming from the previous installation, whilch includes one or more aliases; since the new login mappping is not the same, it was simple to remove old users using a DROP SCHEMA statement, but it does not work with aliases. Then they are still in the SYSUSERS system table and I found no way to remove them since SQL Server 2005 does not allow updates on system tables.

I "can't imagine" there's no way to work around such a stupid thing... Any suggestion would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Saturday, May 3, 2008 10:33 AM
  •   The system SP sp_dropalias should be available on SQL Server 2008 for this purpose. Please, give it a try aqnd let us know if you experienced any problems.

I hope this information helps.

-Raul Garcia

SDE/T

SQL Server Engine

Monday, July 14, 2008 4:57 PM