Session state is not available in this context. RRS feed

• Question

• User-712926555 posted

Hi,

I am using forms authentication

I need to get user by name with respect branch

In my global.ascx

protected void FormsAuthentication_OnAuthenticate(Object sender, FormsAuthenticationEventArgs e)
            {
                if (FormsAuthentication.CookiesSupported == true)
                {
                    if (Request.Cookies[FormsAuthentication.FormsCookieName] != null)
                    {
                        try
                        {
                            //let us take out the username now                
                            string username = FormsAuthentication.Decrypt(Request.Cookies[FormsAuthentication.FormsCookieName].Value).Name;

Admin_AppUserBLL objAppusr = new Admin_AppUserBLL();
                            if (!String.IsNullOrEmpty(Session["BranchId"].ToString()))
                            {
                                objAppusr = Admin_AppUserBLL.GetAdmin_AppUserBLL(username, Convert.ToInt32(Session["BranchId"].ToString()));
                            }
                            else
                            {
                                objAppusr = Admin_AppUserBLL.GetAdmin_AppUserBLL(username);
                            }
                            //let us extract the roles from our own custom cookie

username += "|" + objAppusr.BranchId + "|" + objAppusr.Id;

//Let us set the Pricipal with our user specific details
                            e.User = new System.Security.Principal.GenericPrincipal(new System.Security.Principal.GenericIdentity(username, "Forms"), objAppusr.RoleName.Split(';'));
                        }
                        catch (Exception ex)
                        {
                            throw ex;
                            //somehting went wrong
                        }
                    }
                }
            }

In Login.aspx.cs

protected void btnLogin_Click(object sender, EventArgs e)
            {
                    Session["BranchId"] = ddlBrachName.SelectedValue.ToString();
    // my code here
                  {
     FormsAuthentication.RedirectFromLoginPage(txtUsername.Text, false);
    Response.Redirect("~/Home.aspx");
    }

It through an exception 

Session state is not available in this context. How to pass branchId from login page to global.ascx?

Saturday, August 29, 2015 6:28 AM

Answers

All replies

• User475983607 posted

Try HttpContext.Current.Session["BranchId"].  

I did not check but you might find Session is not available at this point in the page life cycle.  Regardless, I would rework the code to remove the dependency on Session.  You could place the BranchId inside the auth token or simple query the DB to get the ID.

Saturday, August 29, 2015 6:36 AM
  • User-712926555 posted

simple query the DB to get the ID

same username with different branch. how to manage it

Saturday, August 29, 2015 6:53 AM
  • User475983607 posted

same username with different branch. how to manage it

That's a good question.  If usernames are not unique then you must have a way to identify each branch.  How are you doing identifying a branch?

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Sunday, August 30, 2015 7:05 AM
  • User1724605321 posted

Hi Hisanth ,

Have you tried HttpContext.Current.Session as mgebhard suggested?  if you get the same error ,i think maybe at that time session state has been loaded .you could refer to link below for more details:

http://forums.asp.net/t/1058902.aspx?Questions+about+SessionState+in+Global+asax .

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/15134265/retrieving-session-in-global-asax

Best Regards,

Nan Yu

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Tuesday, September 1, 2015 1:33 AM
  • User-446933086 posted

Hi,

There are different ways to do this stuff.

My idea about this stuff is 

HttpContext.Current.Request.Form.GetValues(ddlBrachName.UniqueID)[0]

ddlBrachName

How you will get ddlBrachName.UniqueID in global.ascx. you can code it or you can pass the index to get the value from request. Instead of keeping in session to just the get the value in Global session will not be good idea. HttpContext.Current contain all information which are required during the request time.

Wednesday, September 2, 2015 6:46 AM