none
(vs2017) deploy application with accdb file RRS feed

• Question

• i'm want to add an access db to my project  so when i install it on other computers it will work.

aftter adding the db file from Solution Explorer and publishing the project i don't see the accdb file in the directory.. instead the  deploy file just got bigger and the application works good..

what is that mean?

and how can i backup my db from the appliction if there's no access file..?

Wednesday, March 14, 2018 5:41 AM

Answers

• Hi noampro8,

You said that you have published your project, but you didn't find the access file in the directory. If you use publish that comes with Visual Studio, you can find access file from

C:\Users\your computer name\AppData\Local\Apps\2.0\Data

Best Regards,

Cherry

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Cor Ligthert Wednesday, March 14, 2018 8:58 AM
    • Marked as answer by noampro8 Thursday, March 15, 2018 4:50 AM
    Wednesday, March 14, 2018 7:34 AM

All replies

• Hi noampro8,

You said that you have published your project, but you didn't find the access file in the directory. If you use publish that comes with Visual Studio, you can find access file from

C:\Users\your computer name\AppData\Local\Apps\2.0\Data

Best Regards,

Cherry

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Cor Ligthert Wednesday, March 14, 2018 8:58 AM
    • Marked as answer by noampro8 Thursday, March 15, 2018 4:50 AM
    Wednesday, March 14, 2018 7:34 AM
  • hi kumno bu,

thanks for your help!

i found the file in a strange path:

C:\Users\halif_n\AppData\Local\Apps\2.0\C9MMZAD1.Y5M\BNL4K9GD.P43\noamom.exe_65e53d4f805008fc_0001.0000_none_436da354ed5e2525

how is it?

inside my appliction, the path that i used to call the file is the app directory (i mean i didnt put any folder path, just the name of the file.. path as string = "noamdb.accdb") so how is it that is works?

can i change this path and put it in the same directory of the application? i want it to be in the program files direcory so it would be easy for me to backup and restore the file from my application

thanks again!

Wednesday, March 14, 2018 7:59 AM
  • It cannot be in the program files directory because that is already a long time read only. 

Success
    Cor

Wednesday, March 14, 2018 8:59 AM
  • Hi noampro8,

As I know, this path cannot be modified, when you publish your project, some data or other file will be placed in this path.

There is same thread about this, you can take a look.

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/5c7d00c2-2473-4fd5-b815-30066383eb47/change-installation-folder-for-a-click-once-app

Best Regards,

Cherry

MSDN Community Support

Wednesday, March 14, 2018 8:59 AM
  • so if i want to make a backup, how would i know the accdb file location? because in my case it was in this weird folder..

can't i just put all the application files and accdb file in a folder that i will create? let's say c:\myproject?

Wednesday, March 14, 2018 9:51 AM
  • Have you tried changing the path?

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help, this will help others who are looking for solutions to the same or similar problem. Contact via my Twitter (Karen Payne) or Facebook (Karen Payne) via my MSDN profile but will not answer coding question on either.
    VB Forums - moderator
    profile for Karen Payne on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites

Wednesday, March 14, 2018 11:09 AM
  • so if i want to make a backup, how would i know the accdb file location? because in my case it was in this weird folder..

can't i just put all the application files and accdb file in a folder that i will create? let's say c:\myproject?

Why you call the standard data folder a weird folder. 

You seems to want a floppy disk solution, that is weird in 2018. 

Success
    Cor

Wednesday, March 14, 2018 11:11 AM
  • yes but theres no accdb file. after i get into this folder and press the setup button, it appears in the users/appdata/.... folder
    Wednesday, March 14, 2018 11:39 AM
  • Look at the following with code sample.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/d8saf4wy.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396&cs-save-lang=1&cs-lang=vb#code-snippet-1

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help, this will help others who are looking for solutions to the same or similar problem. Contact via my Twitter (Karen Payne) or Facebook (Karen Payne) via my MSDN profile but will not answer coding question on either.
    VB Forums - moderator
    profile for Karen Payne on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites

Wednesday, March 14, 2018 11:45 AM

VB Forums - moderator

Karen,

Somebody wrote at sunday something about etiquette. The author wrote that their was lately not answered about solving problems but only about doing what the OP asks. As I stated in past. If somebody on a bridge, who want to commit suicide asks to push, exactly do that instead helping that person. 

Did you read that post about etiquette? You maybe help the OP temporally until somebody asks why it is not normal done. But for those who find this, you do a bad job. The answer from Cherry was sufficient. 

Success
    Cor

Wednesday, March 14, 2018 11:52 AM

VB Forums - moderator

Karen,

Somebody wrote at sunday something about etiquette. The author wrote that their was lately not answered about solving problems but only about doing what the OP asks. As I stated in past. If somebody on a bridge, who want to commit suicide asks to push, exactly do that instead helping that person. 

Did you read that post about etiquette? You maybe help the OP temporally until somebody asks why it is not normal done. But for those who find this, you do a bad job. The answer from Cherry was sufficient. 

Success
    Cor

Cor, I did not read the link that Cherry posted, is this what you are referring too? All I was doing was asking a simple question were there was no need for explanation. Didn't see anything wrong with asking a question and if Cherry's reply/link said the same thing then it simply reinforces their reply.  

VB Forums - moderator

Wednesday, March 14, 2018 12:17 PM

• Cor, I did not read the link that Cherry posted, is this what you are referring too? All I was doing was asking a simple question were there was no need for explanation. Didn't see anything wrong with asking a question and if Cherry's reply/link said the same thing then it simply reinforces their reply.  

No. The Op told he/she found the Data folder weird. I replied that it was weird to use another one. (Not as answer just as explanation before others got the same idea). 

However, what you stated is in a way the hired moderators do and I thought Tommy, Les and me as well told that it was only creating long unusable threads for future reference. I don't know if the hired moderators are ordered to do that, but you are for sure not. 

Be aware I always try to read a whole thread before I place my first reply. If you do this than write at least that you do it in addition to the answer from Cherry. 

Success
    Cor

Wednesday, March 14, 2018 12:55 PM