Cannot run Metro Apps in Windows Developer preview

Question

• Hello Every Body:

I am installing Windows Developer Preview on my laptop. It was worked good until yesterday, But Now I can not run some app like wordhunt and etc .

why this happened?

Best Regards
    Saturday, November 19, 2011 7:37 AM

Answers

• I can not run some app like wordhunt and etc .

Green screen?  My guess is that it is crashing.  Check with Event Viewer.

In case you are seeing the same symptom that I reported for Sudoku see if your crash is in  Windows.UI.Xaml.dll

Note the suggested fix?  And my workaround?   Hope the workaround helps before you need the "fix".    ; )

BTW I would still like to know what CEIP captures in these instances.  It's annoying not knowing what needs to be reported manually.   E.g. in my case the crash was repeating but not a repro case, certainly not after the workaround.

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Monday, November 21, 2011 2:43 PM
  • For Metro Apps to work, you need to have the following:
    1) Your screen resolution needs to be at least 1024x768 for Metro Apps to work.
    2) Next, if you have turned off User Account Control, your Metro apps will not work.
    You can check if UAC is enabled here: Control Panel > User Accounts > Change User Account Control Settings
    3) Try using a Local account instead of a Windows Live ID account.

If Metro Apps are still not working your other option would be to Refresh your PC.
    When you refresh your PC, your files and personalization settings won't change.

Your PC settings will be restored to their defaults.
    Apps from Windows Store will be kept. All other apps will be removed.
    Follow the steps below to restore your PC:
    Enter the Start screen
    Click Control Panel
    Click General on the left column
    Under the Refresh your PC without affecting your files, click Get started

Then follow the instructions that will be displayed on the screen.
    Once the refresh has finished, test to see if the Metro Apps are now working.

If this doesn't help, please provide other details as to error message or if your system freezes.

Thanks,

Marilyn
    Wednesday, November 23, 2011 5:39 PM

All replies

• Hello Every Body:

I am installing Windows Developer Preview on my laptop. It was worked good until yesterday, But Now I can not run some app like wordhunt and etc .

why this happened? 

Best Regards

I will help you to move the case to the Windows Developer preview forum for more prefossional supports.

Thank you for understandings.

Best Regards

Neddy Ren[MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Monday, November 21, 2011 7:22 AM
  • I can not run some app like wordhunt and etc .

Green screen?  My guess is that it is crashing.  Check with Event Viewer.

In case you are seeing the same symptom that I reported for Sudoku see if your crash is in  Windows.UI.Xaml.dll

Note the suggested fix?  And my workaround?   Hope the workaround helps before you need the "fix".    ; )

BTW I would still like to know what CEIP captures in these instances.  It's annoying not knowing what needs to be reported manually.   E.g. in my case the crash was repeating but not a repro case, certainly not after the workaround.

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Monday, November 21, 2011 2:43 PM
  • For Metro Apps to work, you need to have the following:
    1) Your screen resolution needs to be at least 1024x768 for Metro Apps to work.
    2) Next, if you have turned off User Account Control, your Metro apps will not work.
    You can check if UAC is enabled here: Control Panel > User Accounts > Change User Account Control Settings
    3) Try using a Local account instead of a Windows Live ID account.

If Metro Apps are still not working your other option would be to Refresh your PC.
    When you refresh your PC, your files and personalization settings won't change.

Your PC settings will be restored to their defaults.
    Apps from Windows Store will be kept. All other apps will be removed.
    Follow the steps below to restore your PC:
    Enter the Start screen
    Click Control Panel
    Click General on the left column
    Under the Refresh your PC without affecting your files, click Get started

Then follow the instructions that will be displayed on the screen.
    Once the refresh has finished, test to see if the Metro Apps are now working.

If this doesn't help, please provide other details as to error message or if your system freezes.

Thanks,

Marilyn
    Wednesday, November 23, 2011 5:39 PM