none
"Synchronise" tabbed continuous forms RRS feed

• Question

• I have a table with 30 fields.
    When I want to display the contents of this table in a continuous form, I can't see all the fields in one view, but I have to scroll from left to right.
    I have tried tot solve this bij creating 3 tabbed continuous forms, form1 displays fields 1-10, form2 displays fields 11-20, etc.

But, when I scroll up and down in form 1, and select a record, I want, when I go to form2 I want to see the same record(s) (but other fields ofcourse) as displayed on form1. I tried it, but it does not work.
    How to I get it to work that the scrolling in these 3 forms goes "synchronised"?

Friday, July 1, 2016 3:19 PM

Answers

• If I understand you correctly you have one unbound form with 3 subforms in continuous forms view.

Those 3 subforms (let's call them sf1, sf2, sf3) should have the PK field (let's call it myPK, likely hidden) and fields 1-10, 11-20, etc.

To synchronize write a few lines in each Form_Current event:
    (in sf1.form_current)
    with me.parent.sf2.form.recordsetclone
      .findfirst "myPK=" & Me.myPK
      .bookmark = me.bookmark
    end with

with me.parent.sf3.form.recordsetclone
      .bookmark = me.bookmark
    end with

I'm sure you can handle the other two subforms.

-Tom. Microsoft Access MVP

• Marked as answer by ArnoJeroen Monday, July 4, 2016 6:48 AM
    Friday, July 1, 2016 8:47 PM

All replies

• I have a table with 30 fields.
    When I want to display the contents of this table in a continuous form, I can't see all the fields in one view, but I have to scroll from left to right.
    I have tried tot solve this bij creating 3 tabbed continuous forms, form1 displays fields 1-10, form2 displays fields 11-20, etc.

But, when I scroll up and down in form 1, and select a record, I want, when I go to form2 I want to see the same record(s) (but other fields ofcourse) as displayed on form1. I tried it, but it does not work.
    How to I get it to work that the scrolling in these 3 forms goes "synchronised"?

Hi ArnoJeroen,

Apart from your question, do you really need that many fields?

I have no experience with tabbed forms, but an alternative could be that in one continuous form you display the most important (or most descriptive) fields, with a button on the main form to open a single-record-form with all the fields of the current record.

Imb.

Friday, July 1, 2016 6:19 PM
  • If I understand you correctly you have one unbound form with 3 subforms in continuous forms view.

Those 3 subforms (let's call them sf1, sf2, sf3) should have the PK field (let's call it myPK, likely hidden) and fields 1-10, 11-20, etc.

(in sf1.form_current)
      .bookmark = me.bookmark
    end with

.bookmark = me.bookmark
    end with

• Marked as answer by ArnoJeroen Monday, July 4, 2016 6:48 AM
    Friday, July 1, 2016 8:47 PM
  • TvS has posted a great answer for your request.  My only addition would be to caution and reconsider the idea in the first place.  You say they can't see all fields "in one view" - - yes I understand that 30 fields is wider than the typical monitor.  But scrolling (sliding) left to right is so common and really not much effort. 

If for any reason you have turned off side-to-side scrolling that typically is a bad idea and will frustrate users with differing monitor sizes regardless of the field count.

If there is a desire to highlight / frame certain sets of fields together you can do that via font color/style.

It just seems to me that it is a lot of work & complexity for not a lot of benefit.

Saturday, July 2, 2016 1:03 PM

(in sf1.form_current)
      .bookmark = me.bookmark
    end with

.bookmark = me.bookmark
    end with

Thank you Tom!
    This was what I was looking for.
    Monday, July 4, 2016 6:53 AM
  • TvS has posted a great answer for your request.  My only addition would be to caution and reconsider the idea in the first place.  You say they can't see all fields "in one view" - - yes I understand that 30 fields is wider than the typical monitor.  But scrolling (sliding) left to right is so common and really not much effort. 

If for any reason you have turned off side-to-side scrolling that typically is a bad idea and will frustrate users with differing monitor sizes regardless of the field count.

If there is a desire to highlight / frame certain sets of fields together you can do that via font color/style.

It just seems to me that it is a lot of work & complexity for not a lot of benefit.

I completely agree with you, but this are the wishes of the user(s). No, i didn't turn off the scrolling.
    I am stil ltrying to convince the user otherwise. ;-)
    Monday, July 4, 2016 6:55 AM
  • This was what I was looking for.

Hi ArnoJeroen,

This will synchronize the records in the different sets, but probably you have to take additional measures to synchronize the place of the records on the different screens.

Imb.

Monday, July 4, 2016 8:07 AM