Installing SSIS with Visual Studio 2019/SQL Server 2019 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello!

I used to install/use SSIS as part of SQL Server Data Tools but according to MS "With Visual Studio 2019, the required functionality to enable Analysis Services, Integration Services, and Reporting Services projects has moved into the respective Visual Studio extensions.". This article states:

If you don’t already have a license to Visual Studio 2019:

Running VS 2019 Community's setup leads me to the following screen:

I don't know what should/must I  choose on the Workloads page... As MS says installing SSIS is a two-step process so I must first install VS2019 and only after that install the SSIS extentions, but what file runs the setup for the SSIS extention?

For example, on the Individual components I can select SQL Server Data Tools without first installing VS2019 (and this single selections leads to a number of other components being selected) - does it mean that I can install SSIS with only one step?

If not what exactly should I choose on step 1 (the first picture) and how can I install SSIS extension?

Thank you in advance,
    Michael

Friday, July 12, 2019 7:39 AM

Answers

All replies

• I tried to install Data Tools according to VS2017:

"Install SSDT with Visual Studio 2017

To install SSDT during Visual Studio installation, select the Data storage and processing workload, and then select SQL Server Data Tools. If Visual Studio is already installed, you can edit the list of workloads to include SSDT:"

...but after successfull installation no SSIS projects can be created:

????

• Edited by MF47 Friday, July 12, 2019 8:49 AM
    Friday, July 12, 2019 8:47 AM
  • Hi Michael,

Please install the Analysis Services, Integration Services or Reporting Services extension as appropriate, refer to 

Download and install SQL Server Data Tools (SSDT) for Visual Studio

Best Regards,

Mona

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Friday, July 12, 2019 10:01 AM
  • Hi Mona,

I decided to ask that question after reading exactly this article (and I inserted a link to it in my initial post - MS) because it does NOT have answers to my questions.

• Edited by MF47 Friday, July 12, 2019 10:07 AM
    Friday, July 12, 2019 10:07 AM
  • Hi MF47,

Microsoft changed the way in VS2019.

SSDT is no more, it was replaced in favor of the SSIS Projects for VS 2019.

Please take a look here: SSDT was replaced by the SSIS Projects for VS 2019

Friday, July 12, 2019 1:52 PM
  • Hi Yitzhak,

Thank you very much for the explanation!

It's weird that 1) MS says "Install the Analysis Services, Integration Services or Reporting Services extension as appropriate" but do not say where can you get those extentions and 2) as of 15.07.2019 the ~SSIS 2019 available here is still a preview - I thought SSIS will be released ~ at the same time with the SQL Server 2019.

Regards,
    Michael

Monday, July 15, 2019 9:43 AM
  • `hello,

this is a known issue to microsoft as well. they mentioned they corrected it in later build of visual studio.

but yesterday, after installing sql server 2017 and visual studio 2019 to my pc (having all required tool from installation page).

I still can not see the integration services as search popup at project page. 

Did you get any success later on ?

Thursday, August 13, 2020 6:27 AM
  • Hi AdityaRathi,

For VS2019 you need to install SQL Server Integration Services Projects extension.

• Proposed as answer by Naomi N Thursday, August 13, 2020 2:04 PM
    Thursday, August 13, 2020 11:57 AM
  • In addition to Yitzhak's answer - if VS will complain and suggest to disable that extension to speed up the load time, don't disable it or remember to re-enable when you need to make a new SSIS project.

Looking for new opportunities

For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog

My TechNet articles

• Edited by Naomi N Thursday, August 13, 2020 2:06 PM
    Thursday, August 13, 2020 2:06 PM