SQl server configuration with SAN RRS feed

• Question

• I am using SQL server 2008, when i store the DB into SAN it become very slow. our data size is so large approx 250GB and every day Data valoume will be increase by 2-5 GB. Please suggest how we can configure the SQl server with SAN for the better performance. We are also using good server configuraton Window Server 2008 4 processor and 64GB RAM.
    Syed Uzair Ahmed, Sr. System Analyst UIDAI Govt. of India
    • Moved by edhickey Monday, June 6, 2011 3:10 PM (From:.NET 3.0/3.5 Windows Workflow Foundation)
    Saturday, June 4, 2011 1:28 PM

Answers

• Hi Syed,

There are some pointers to optimize SAN setup for improved SQL Server performance.

First, you should consider the bandwidth of the data channel which depends on the I/O demands for the SQL SERVER.
    Second, consider the way SAN abstracts the physical devices it presents to the system to take maximum advantage of parallelism.
    Final, choose an appropriate RAID level for the SAN.

For more information, please refer to: Optimize SAN setup for improved SQL Server performance. Additionally, another article about this topic may also helpful to you: SAN considerations for your SQL Server environment.

Best Regards,
    Stephanie Lv

• Marked as answer by Stephanie Lv Saturday, June 11, 2011 7:16 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Syed Uzair Ahmed Saturday, February 4, 2012 4:53 PM
    • Marked as answer by Kalman Toth Friday, March 8, 2013 12:05 PM
    Tuesday, June 7, 2011 6:03 AM

All replies

• Need to know a little more information.

How fast are your drives? San and local

How is your file system split up? Are data files split our from log files?

What speeds do you have from server to SAN?

What type of San are you using?

What becomes slow when you move to the SAN?

Monday, June 6, 2011 6:16 PM
  • Hi Syed,

There are some pointers to optimize SAN setup for improved SQL Server performance.

First, you should consider the bandwidth of the data channel which depends on the I/O demands for the SQL SERVER.
    Second, consider the way SAN abstracts the physical devices it presents to the system to take maximum advantage of parallelism.
    Final, choose an appropriate RAID level for the SAN.

For more information, please refer to: Optimize SAN setup for improved SQL Server performance. Additionally, another article about this topic may also helpful to you: SAN considerations for your SQL Server environment.

Best Regards,
    Stephanie Lv

• Marked as answer by Stephanie Lv Saturday, June 11, 2011 7:16 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Syed Uzair Ahmed Saturday, February 4, 2012 4:53 PM
    • Marked as answer by Kalman Toth Friday, March 8, 2013 12:05 PM
    Tuesday, June 7, 2011 6:03 AM