Keyboard lost - no input (In Metro Internet Explorer 10 App)

Question

• I'm not sure if this is a bug or if I lack knowledge...  From the Metro - IE App, I have no keyboard pop up.  I can tap to get the text, say to type in an address, but can't get anything to type with.  I had changed this to the pen and practiced input using my finger, writing letters, but when I tried to change back to the keyboard I lost any input selection.

Thursday, September 15, 2011 2:31 PM

Answers

• I'm not much help in troubleshooting the cause, sorry I should have waited it out.  I did a refresh, thought it would be good to go through that process.

Before I reloaded and the problem was still there..

I did have touchscreen interface, works pretty good I have to say.   Prior to this problem starting I had been able to get the keyboard to come up by touching an address field or any other text field.  Something happened when I changed my input selection.  I changed from Keyboard to pen (not using a pen, using my fingertip) this worked fine also but I wanted to change back to keyboard - this is when problem started.  I no longer had any input option when tapping the text area, I could see the blue dot but no input selection, no keyboard slide up, no writing area either.  I restarted first but the behavior stayed. I have tried to get this to repeat but so far it’s working as expected.

It’s possible I could have selected something that resulted in no input selection – I have been tapping around seeing what this does and what that does.

I’m pretty impressed!  The touchscreen interaction is obviously improved, works very good.  I have issues swiping a suspended app but after a few tries I get it.

Friday, September 16, 2011 3:54 PM

All replies

• Hey The_Messenger,

Are you able to use the touch keyboard interface if you switch to the desktop version of Internet Explorer? You can do this by touching the page icon that is displayed to the right of the Address field in the Metro Internet Explorer 10 application and then selecting the "Use desktop view" option.

The desktop version of Internet Explorer 10 will load. Once it has finished opening, try touching the Address bar to see if the keyboard icon appears that will provide the touch keyboard interface when it is touched.

If the touch keyboard interface appears, try going back to the Start screen and launch the Metro Internet Explorer 10 application to see if you can now use the touch keyboard interface for text entry.

Look forward to hearing back from you.

Steven
    Friday, September 16, 2011 3:40 PM
  • I'm not much help in troubleshooting the cause, sorry I should have waited it out.  I did a refresh, thought it would be good to go through that process.

Before I reloaded and the problem was still there..

I did have touchscreen interface, works pretty good I have to say.   Prior to this problem starting I had been able to get the keyboard to come up by touching an address field or any other text field.  Something happened when I changed my input selection.  I changed from Keyboard to pen (not using a pen, using my fingertip) this worked fine also but I wanted to change back to keyboard - this is when problem started.  I no longer had any input option when tapping the text area, I could see the blue dot but no input selection, no keyboard slide up, no writing area either.  I restarted first but the behavior stayed. I have tried to get this to repeat but so far it’s working as expected.

It’s possible I could have selected something that resulted in no input selection – I have been tapping around seeing what this does and what that does.

I’m pretty impressed!  The touchscreen interaction is obviously improved, works very good.  I have issues swiping a suspended app but after a few tries I get it.

Friday, September 16, 2011 3:54 PM
  • Thanks for the update and I'm glad to hear you are enjoying using the Windows Developer Preview!

If the problem returns, feel free to drop by this thread again and we'll take a second look at it.

Steven
    Friday, September 16, 2011 4:31 PM