none
HOW TO ENABLE KEY BOARD AND BAR CODE SCANNER IN VB.NET

Question

• i NEED HELP WITH   BAR CODE SCANER  AND KEY BOARD   ENABLE  FOR INPUT  IN  VB.NET  IN vs 2008

Vijay

Wednesday, April 5, 2017 3:45 PM

All replies

• This is a function of the particular barcode scanner you are using and is outside the scope of this forum.  You will read data from the barcode scanner in one of three ways:

• Via a "keyboard wedge" application which transmits the scanned data as keystrokes to the active application
    • Via a serial COM port, often a virtual COM port over USB or Bluetooth, using serial commands defined by the barcode scanner manufacturer
    • Via a managed API, often over a USB HMI connection, using a DLL and API commands supplied by the barcode scanner manufacturer

There should be nothing specific about the computer keyboard involved with using a barcode scanner.

If you can tell us precisely how your barcode scanner interfaces with the host PC then we may be able to point you toward examples of using that particular interface.  Note that in the case of a manufacturer supplied API, there will be little that we can assist with other than referencing the API.

Reed Kimble - "When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all"

Wednesday, April 5, 2017 4:00 PM
  • I have written win form to support bar code scanner But decide to give additional functionality to input Barcode with keyboard

Vijay

Wednesday, April 5, 2017 4:00 PM
  • key boARD i HAVE MENTIONED IS IN SCANNER NOT KEYBOARD ON LAPTOP

Vijay

Wednesday, April 5, 2017 4:06 PM
  • key boARD i HAVE MENTIONED IS IN SCANNER NOT KEYBOARD ON LAPTOP

Vijay

OK, so you are referring to a keypad on the scanner device.  The scanner's ability to transmit data entered by the keypad is something you will have to determine from the manufacturer's documentation.  If the scanner has the capability, the data will likely transmit in the same fashion as a standard barcode reading operation (whichever of the three aforementioned connections you are using).  But your VB code has no involvement in that process.

Reed Kimble - "When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all"

Wednesday, April 5, 2017 7:47 PM