none
Getting 'String not supported' error when opening Kinect SDK 1.7 InteractionGallery Sample Project RRS feed

• Question

• I posted the same issue on stack overflow and no one has answered.

Installed the following in order:

1. Visual Studio Express 2012
    2. Kinect SDK v1.7
    3. Kinect Developer Toolkit 1.7.0

I am able to build and run InteractionGallery-WPF. Works great with the Kinect. All sample projects do. I then tried to see if I could edit a few things.

Opened InteractionGallery-WPF.sln in

• C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Kinect\Developer Toolkit v1.7.0\Samples\C#\InteractionGallery-WPF\

When I view this file in Visual Studios: InteractionGallery WPF\Content\ArticleScreen\Article1.xaml the VS Designer says invalid markup. And I get squiggly warnings in the xaml editor. As well as errors in the error list.

Getting errors:

• 'String is not supported in a Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF) project'
    • 'Uri is not supported in a Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF) project'

When I Google this error it's pretty much non-existent besides my friend asking about the same issue elsewhere. It seems as if I'm missing something simple. This has happened on 4 separate installations (different machines).

Friday, July 26, 2013 10:38 PM

All replies

• For best results, you might want to use the Developer Toolkit Brower and click the "Install" button for the Interaction Gallery-WPF project. This will make a copy of all the referenced projects and their associated files into a folder that you define. This ensures you have all the necessary project dependencies that include: 

- InteractionGallery-WPF
    - Microsoft.Kinect.Toolkit
    - Microsoft.Kinect.Toolkit.Controls

Once you open the project, from the "Build" menu of Visual Studio, select "Rebuild Solution" before you begin. This will ensure all the dependent reference projects .dll's are built and resolved.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh855373.aspx#Visual_Studio_Help
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj663801.aspx

Carmine Sirignano - MSFT

Monday, July 29, 2013 5:07 PM
  • Thank you so much for the reply. I assure you I have done exactly what you have said on 4 separate machines and am able to reproduce it each time. (I'm a pretty seasoned developer) Is there any way I can get this issue escalated as it's pretty serious issue for the SDK to have a reproducible problem that makes it near impossible for me to compile and view the InteractionGallery-WPF project in a clean state.

Tuesday, July 30, 2013 2:24 AM
  • Also, I am having no trouble building the solution. Building works great, I'm having issues with viewing the XALM files in the designer view on VS Express 2012 for Windows Desktop. 
    Tuesday, July 30, 2013 2:35 AM
  • Here is the full error list for when I open Article2.xaml.
    • Error 1 The property "ImageUris" can only be set once. C:\Users\Chaplin\Desktop\New folder\InteractionGallery-WPF\Content\ArticleScreen\Article2.xaml 2 5 InteractionGallery-WPF
    • Error 2 Uri is not supported in a Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF) project. C:\Users\Chaplin\Desktop\New folder\InteractionGallery-WPF\Content\ArticleScreen\Article2.xaml 3 9 InteractionGallery-WPF
    • Error 3 Uri is not supported in a Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF) project. C:\Users\Chaplin\Desktop\New folder\InteractionGallery-WPF\Content\ArticleScreen\Article2.xaml 4 9 InteractionGallery-WPF
    • Error 4 Uri is not supported in a Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF) project. C:\Users\Chaplin\Desktop\New folder\InteractionGallery-WPF\Content\ArticleScreen\Article2.xaml 5 9 InteractionGallery-WPF
    • Error 5 The property "ImageUris" does not have an accessible setter. C:\Users\Chaplin\Desktop\New folder\InteractionGallery-WPF\Content\ArticleScreen\Article2.xaml 5 9 InteractionGallery-WPF
    • Error 6 The property "Paragraphs" can only be set once. C:\Users\Chaplin\Desktop\New folder\InteractionGallery-WPF\Content\ArticleScreen\Article2.xaml 7 5 InteractionGallery-WPF
    • Error 7 String is not supported in a Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF) project. C:\Users\Chaplin\Desktop\New folder\InteractionGallery-WPF\Content\ArticleScreen\Article2.xaml 8 9 InteractionGallery-WPF
    • Error 8 String is not supported in a Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF) project. C:\Users\Chaplin\Desktop\New folder\InteractionGallery-WPF\Content\ArticleScreen\Article2.xaml 9 9 InteractionGallery-WPF
    • Error 9 String is not supported in a Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF) project. C:\Users\Chaplin\Desktop\New folder\InteractionGallery-WPF\Content\ArticleScreen\Article2.xaml 10 9 InteractionGallery-WPF
    • Error 10 String is not supported in a Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF) project. C:\Users\Chaplin\Desktop\New folder\InteractionGallery-WPF\Content\ArticleScreen\Article2.xaml 11 9 InteractionGallery-WPF
    • Error 11 String is not supported in a Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF) project. C:\Users\Chaplin\Desktop\New folder\InteractionGallery-WPF\Content\ArticleScreen\Article2.xaml 12 9 InteractionGallery-WPF
    • Error 12 String is not supported in a Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF) project. C:\Users\Chaplin\Desktop\New folder\InteractionGallery-WPF\Content\ArticleScreen\Article2.xaml 13 9 InteractionGallery-WPF
    • Error 13 String is not supported in a Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF) project. C:\Users\Chaplin\Desktop\New folder\InteractionGallery-WPF\Content\ArticleScreen\Article2.xaml 14 9 InteractionGallery-WPF
    • Error 14 The property "Paragraphs" does not have an accessible setter. C:\Users\Chaplin\Desktop\New folder\InteractionGallery-WPF\Content\ArticleScreen\Article2.xaml 14 9 InteractionGallery-WPF
    Tuesday, July 30, 2013 2:40 AM
  • If the project compiles/runs and you have the necessary .Net runtimes installed, then you might need the assistance of the Visual Studio Express team. If the designer is not picking up the locations of the files or libraries, that is why you could be receiving these errors.

The thread you linked to posted steps they took to resolve the issue, have you tied those? Which .Net runtime is your project targeting? Did you install the SDK to the default folders or did you move or use a different location. Where is the KINECT_TOOLKIT_DIR & KINECTSDK10_DIR environment variables pointing too? If you recently upgraded from a previous SDK, you may need to reboot once for the environment variables to update.

Carmine Sirignano - MSFT

Tuesday, July 30, 2013 4:50 PM
  • Thanks Carmine. 

The thread I linked to was never in a resolved state hence the statement "So, I'm pretty confused at this point.".

I have not upgraded from an SDK. This is vanilla install with each component I mentioned.

1. Visual Studio Express 2012
    2. Kinect SDK v1.7
    3. Kinect Developer Toolkit 1.7.0

Everything was default and I did not make changes. I installed InteractionGallery-WPF from the developer toolkit like you had mentioned. I then opened the .sln in Visual Studio. This was reproducible 4 times in a row, different machines, different versions of Windows 7. 

Target .Net Runtime of InteractionGallery-WPF is ".Net 4 Client Profile". During troubleshooting I adjusted target runtime with no beneficial results.

Environment Variables:

• KINECT_TOOLKIT_DIR=C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Kinect\Developer Toolkit v1.7.0\
    • KINECTSDK10_DIR=C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Kinect\v1.7\
    • FTSDK_DIR=C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Kinect\Developer Toolkit v1.7.0\

• Edited by Kyle Chaplin Tuesday, July 30, 2013 6:04 PM typo
    Tuesday, July 30, 2013 6:00 PM
  • You might want to follow the tutorials to see if you can get interactions running.

As for the actual XAML editor, there might be something with VS2012 Express, so you can also try VS2010 Express. The Visual Studio team may have better information to provide in what the visual design limitations might be here. 

The Interactions Gallery sample is a bit complex with all of the data binding. Try the Controls Basics-WPF sample since that uses the same controls. Additionally, you can try the tutorials just to get up and running with Interactions.

Carmine Sirignano - MSFT

Wednesday, July 31, 2013 12:19 AM