App icon won't change. RRS feed

• Question

• User266789 posted

I have already gone away from the default app icon that is automatically used, by changing it in the Assetsfolder under app Icons.

I had to make some changes to the image and so I deleted all the old image files from my computer and the application and loaded in the new image.

Yet when I run it on the simulator the old image is still appearing even after I searched my computer for the old image file and it no longer exists. I deleted the app from the simulator and cleaned and rebuilt and still the old image is showing up.

There must be some file or folder that still references the old image that I want to discard but I have no idea what could be causing the old image to continually show as the app icon.

Wednesday, January 25, 2017 7:48 PM

Answers

• User266789 posted

Ok so I didn't solve the issue but I found out what is going on.

Xamarin isn't using the wrong file at all. It is taking the correct image which has white text and turning the text black. So the entire 2-3 hours I spent on this to find out it is somehow using white text as black text. So very annoying and it seems I now have a bigger bug to fix.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, June 3, 2021 12:00 AM
    Wednesday, January 25, 2017 9:39 PM
  • User266789 posted

Ok the issue is that apple doesn't allow transparency in their images. So anything transparent gets turned to black.

Wednesday, January 25, 2017 10:16 PM

All replies

• User266789 posted

So I went through any file title LaunchImage or AppIcon and the image is not there on my computer. So there must be something embedded in a resource file or cache that I have no idea where to look.

I was hoping that I would get some type of error telling me that the file is no longer there, but no luck.

Wednesday, January 25, 2017 8:11 PM
  • User266789 posted

Ok so I didn't solve the issue but I found out what is going on.

Xamarin isn't using the wrong file at all. It is taking the correct image which has white text and turning the text black. So the entire 2-3 hours I spent on this to find out it is somehow using white text as black text. So very annoying and it seems I now have a bigger bug to fix.

Wednesday, January 25, 2017 9:39 PM
  • User272016 posted

It will be a guess: what about resolution? MAYBE the Xamarin when deploying app to the simulator is checking what resolution of the icon there is and if it does not match requirements then it fails? I don't know if this can be a case but worth checking.

Wednesday, January 25, 2017 9:42 PM
  • User266789 posted

Ok the issue is that apple doesn't allow transparency in their images. So anything transparent gets turned to black.

Wednesday, January 25, 2017 10:16 PM