none
Visual Studio Dev Essentials for the Enterprise?

Question

• Hi,

In the past I used Microsoft Action Pack for my own company. Now I've joined a enterprise and was wondering if employees of an enterprise can also use the Dev Essentials Tooling. Or are there limitations, I couldn't find the terms for that.

Hope someone can help. 

Saturday, June 11, 2016 7:36 AM

Answers

• Hi,

sorry for the missunderstanding. From my understanding, there is no restriction other than the developer edition license. So even as employee of an enterprise, you can join this dev essentials. But this will not change the licenses of the single products.

So from my understanding, the SQL Server Developer Edition can be used by an enterprise to develop and test applications. But be aware that production use is not allowed. (This makes sense, because Microsoft wants to sell licenses and you can only develop software that depends on SQL Server with the developer edition of it.

With kind regards,

Konrad

• Marked as answer by gabrielvdk Monday, June 13, 2016 7:02 PM
    Monday, June 13, 2016 8:44 AM

All replies

• Hi,

the terms are inside the lisense. There are strict rules and only small teams are allowed to use the software for commercial work. So open source development and academic stuff are free or the enterprise must not exceed a defined size and only up to 5 people are allowed to use it.

https://www.visualstudio.com/support/legal/mt171547

With kind regards,

Konrad

Saturday, June 11, 2016 9:03 AM
  • Thanks for the response. But this license is for Visual Studio Community Edition, but not for the Dev Essentials. Reason I am asking is that I might want to use the SQL Server 2014 Developer edition:

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/dataplatforminsider/2016/03/31/microsoft-sql-server-developer-edition-is-now-free/

Hope you can advice again, thanks.

Monday, June 13, 2016 6:45 AM
  • Hi,

sorry for the missunderstanding. From my understanding, there is no restriction other than the developer edition license. So even as employee of an enterprise, you can join this dev essentials. But this will not change the licenses of the single products.

So from my understanding, the SQL Server Developer Edition can be used by an enterprise to develop and test applications. But be aware that production use is not allowed. (This makes sense, because Microsoft wants to sell licenses and you can only develop software that depends on SQL Server with the developer edition of it.

With kind regards,

Konrad

• Marked as answer by gabrielvdk Monday, June 13, 2016 7:02 PM
    Monday, June 13, 2016 8:44 AM
  • Thanks for the additional answer.
    Monday, June 13, 2016 7:01 PM