none
custom tool 'MSDataSetGenerator' failed while processing RRS feed

  • Question

  • I created a class library project a while ago using VS 2005.  We recently upgraded to VS 2008  .net 3.5  and I have had to make some changes to the class.  The class, called ACCT, is a data set created with table adapters.   When I ran the conversion wizard, there were no errors but after I made my changes to the class and rebuild the app, I received errors on every table adapter, data table, relation, etc in the class.  The errors were all the same....

     'tableSensors is already declared as  Private tableSensors as SensorsDataTable' in this class.

    After searching for a couple minutes I noticed that the dataset now had two designer.vb files, acct.designer.vb and acct1.designer.vb.  All the errors were from the newly created (acct1.designer.vb) file. 

    I deleted the newest version of my class and tried the process again to see where this second designer was coming from.  i ran the conversion tool and saw that it was being created in the conversion.  After rebuilding the library, I removed the newly created designer and all the errors went away but when I rebuilt the application  i got a warning saying "the custom tool 'MSDataSetGenerator' failed while processing dataset".   

    Why is the conversion wizard creating a second dataset designer file?  is there something corrupted in the original?  SHould I remove the original and work with the newly created designer file?  

    Thanks in advance for any help
    Monday, June 22, 2009 4:36 PM

Answers

  • I've seen a problem like this before, but unfortunately it was quite awhile ago and I no longer remember all of the details.  It involved some unusual entries being saved in the project (.vbproj) file causing a problem.

    The .xsd file is the important part of the DataSet.  The generator reads this file to create the designer file.

    Here is what I would try: make a copy of the .xsd file.  Then, completely delete the DataSet, including the .xsd file, from your project using Solution Explorer.  Copy your backup .xsd into your project and use Add Existing Item to put it into your project.
    • Marked as answer by meriano Tuesday, June 23, 2009 1:29 PM
    Monday, June 22, 2009 10:28 PM

All replies

  • I've seen a problem like this before, but unfortunately it was quite awhile ago and I no longer remember all of the details.  It involved some unusual entries being saved in the project (.vbproj) file causing a problem.

    The .xsd file is the important part of the DataSet.  The generator reads this file to create the designer file.

    Here is what I would try: make a copy of the .xsd file.  Then, completely delete the DataSet, including the .xsd file, from your project using Solution Explorer.  Copy your backup .xsd into your project and use Add Existing Item to put it into your project.
    • Marked as answer by meriano Tuesday, June 23, 2009 1:29 PM
    Monday, June 22, 2009 10:28 PM
  • Thanks for the response.  I tried your suggestion and it did work.  It seems it is a round about way to solve an issue that doesnt seem like it should exist but nonetheless it works without any issues.  Still,  i wonder why the conversion wizard is building a second designer, especially when it returns with no errors.   Thanks again..it is much appreciated
    Tuesday, June 23, 2009 1:34 PM
  • Just  my $.02 worth, I have the same problem, but I was completely with VS2008 start to finish, I think I might have "let the genie" out when I attempted to put my own string in place of the application (read-only) connection string, since I needed it to be writable, but there were places in the XSD file that clung to that original (now missing) string, but that's another topic.  I found the same thing, an extra dataset designer string named {dbname}dataset1.designer.vb.  The offending references were in the project.vbproj file, where two sections referenced this new file, the first in the "compile includes" looked like:

        <Compile Include="{dbname}DataSet1.Designers.vb">
          <AutoGen>True</AutoGen>
          <DesignTime>True</DesignTime>
          <DependentUpon>BOW_DEVDATADataSet.xsd</DependentUpon>
        </Compile>

    These lines were deleted completely, as the same lines already existed for my original {dbname}DataSet.Designers.vb

    This second one was a bit tricker, as I was having weeks of "fun" (developing) without this error, but then I was exploring a bug in my application code and accidentally visited the dataset designer to examine an adapter (that somehow lost its update and delete command queries) and "bam" this error popped up, and I discovered that the following lines in that same project.vbproj file:

          <Generator>MSDataSetGenerator</Generator>
          <LastGenOutput>{dbname}DataSet1.Designers.vb</LastGenOutput>
          <SubType>Designer</SubType>

    Since there was no corresponding entry for the original designer (the file {dbname}DataSet.Designers.vb, I edited the line to use/reference my original file, the {dbname}DataSet.Designers.vb, thereby removing any linkage to the offending file {dbname}DataSet1.Designers.vb.  I'm not going to suggest I know what's going on with this stuff, but when it decides to make one of these duplicates, the errors are overwhelming and, it's understandable, it creates duplications of hundreds of objects etc.  Once I deploy this prototype, I'll have a chance to rebuild and attempt to avoid whatever this is by this clean build, meanwhile, I'm back to a compile that works! (WHEW).

    In fact, I'll try this suggestion in the previous posts above, as this might just do it, but that's after the deployment is done.  It's working now!

    Monday, September 27, 2010 4:15 AM