none
Usage of ASLR & Security Cookies when booting via snapshot RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

i am investigating in Windows Embedded Compact which has a boot option called snapshot boot. This boot option shall decrease the startup time of the system.

Now i am asking myself whether it is possible to use security features like ASLR (address space layout randomization) and security cookies to supervise buffers on the stack regarding overflows.

Is there any document describing whether these security features can be used in combination with snapshot boot and if so how to configure that? Regarding the security cookies of course i do not want just using the same cookie after each startup but instead use random cookies after snapshot is loaded again.

Thanks a lot.

regards, Sus

Monday, January 4, 2016 4:49 PM

All replies

• Hi Sus,

I am afraid I don't have an answer for you except as the OEM, you would have to accommodate these in your BSP.  Microsoft did not provide a BSP with Snapshot enabled, only a sample of how it would need to be integrated to be supported.  You can find that information here: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn169272.aspx

My apologies for the time this has taken and not having a better answer for you.  When you do look into choosing a board for your project, you can certainly reach out to the ODM/Supplier of that board and ask if they have implemented this feature and then you can ask specifics as to their solution.

Sincerely,

IoTGirl

Tuesday, January 31, 2017 12:19 AM