none
Tabular model - PowerBI - "There's not enough memory to complete this operation" RRS feed

• Question

• I develop a tabular model which is queried by the end user by PowerBI dashboard. when the user change the filters in the dashboard an "There's not enough memory to complete this operation" error is received (should note that there is no memory error during the processing of the model). how can I tell whether the memory issue origin is in the Tabular model or in the PowerBI? and is there a way to reduce used memory/ to improve efficiency?
    Monday, July 8, 2019 11:54 AM

All replies

• Processing the model means reading the data from sources and storing in columnar format. Apparently your server has enough RAM for that. Now when the server processes queries against the model, it may need to create temporary data structures to do the requested calculations, and that could consume a lot of memory by itself (while the model continues occupying whatever RAM is needed to store it).

To reduce memory usage, you could try optimizing the model, both the data model and the measures. I'm guessing PBI is in live connect mode so there's limited optimization potential on that side, but you could have a look at just how many visuals are there per page and how much different measure they use.

Expect me to help you solve your problems, not to solve your problems for you.

Monday, July 8, 2019 12:15 PM