Connecting to a named instance of SSAS SQL 2008 R2? RRS feed

• Question

• I have a named instance of analysis services on a machine that I can connect to locally and can connect to via the port number, but can not connect via name, so can connect via machinename:1234, but cannot connect via machinename/instancename. I have checked the SQL Browser is running, have ensured the firewall settings are correct (otherwise I wouldn't be able to connect via port). I will say that this is across two linked domains. The machine is on one domain, my pc is on another domain (this can not be changed, which is always fun).

Any ideas welcome as I can't find anything that helps (I have searched everywhere and under all phrases I can think of to see if there is an existing answer out there).

Thanks

Rick

Friday, October 28, 2011 9:39 AM

Answers

• For anyone interested in this problem, I solved it. port 2382 needs to be opened as an inbound connection on the server.
    • Marked as answer by RickD43 Friday, October 28, 2011 3:32 PM
    Friday, October 28, 2011 3:31 PM

All replies

• For anyone interested in this problem, I solved it. port 2382 needs to be opened as an inbound connection on the server.
    • Marked as answer by RickD43 Friday, October 28, 2011 3:32 PM
    Friday, October 28, 2011 3:31 PM
  • Hi,

I have a similar issue with SQL Server Analysis Services 2008 R2, but the port 2382 is already open and listening.

The "SQL Server Analysis Services (INSTANCE)" service is running under a domain account (I also tried with local system/local service/network service account) and I use a specific port (also tried with dynamic port).

When I try to connect to SSAS with SERVER\INSTANCE, I always got the following error : 

===================================

Cannot connect to SERVER\INSTANCE.

===================================

The 'INSTANCE' instance was not found on the 'SERVER' server. (Microsoft.AnalysisServices.AdomdClient)

------------------------------
    Program Location:

at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.AdomdClient.XmlaClient.GetInstancePort(ConnectionInfo connectionInfo)
       at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.AdomdClient.XmlaClient.GetTcpClient(ConnectionInfo connectionInfo)
       at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.AdomdClient.XmlaClient.OpenTcpConnection(ConnectionInfo connectionInfo)
       at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.AdomdClient.XmlaClient.Connect(ConnectionInfo connectionInfo, Boolean beginSession)
       at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.AdomdClient.AdomdConnection.XmlaClientProvider.Connect(Boolean toIXMLA)
       at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.AdomdClient.AdomdConnection.XmlaClientProvider.Microsoft.AnalysisServices.AdomdClient.AdomdConnection.IXmlaClientProviderEx.ConnectXmla()
       at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.AdomdClient.AdomdConnection.ConnectToXMLA(Boolean createSession, Boolean isHTTP)
       at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.AdomdClient.AdomdConnection.Open()
       at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.SqlStudio.Explorer.ObjectExplorerService.ValidateConnection(UIConnectionInfo ci, IServerType server)
       at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.UI.ConnectionDlg.Connector.ConnectionThreadUser()

The only way to connect to SSAS (locally or remotely) is to specify the port : 'SERVER:30000' or 'localhost:30000'.

Any ideas ?

Thanks

David

Monday, December 5, 2011 10:45 AM
  • For Me  (SQL Server Browser service restart) helped me to resolve the issue

To start the SQL Server Browser service
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1.On the Start menu, right-click My Computer, and then click Manage.

2.In Computer Management, expand Services and Applications, and then click Services.

3.In the list of services, double-click SQL Server Browser.

4.In the SQL Server Browser Properties window, click Start or Stop.

5.When the service starts or stops, click OK.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms165734(v=sql.90).aspx

Thanks Shiven:) If Answer is Helpful, Please Vote

Friday, July 20, 2012 8:37 AM