none
Why would a Column not be found using the Find an Item Search Box?

Question

• I have a column called Order ID.
    but when people try to search for the various Order IDs to find a specific ID #.. they are not able to use the  Find an item search box.

Why would that be? they enter known ID numbers....

Friday, November 16, 2018 9:50 PM

All replies

• Here you go

https://www.eliostruyf.com/making-columns-searchable-for-the-list-or-library-searchbox/

Please remember to click Mark as Answer on the answer if it helps you

Friday, November 16, 2018 10:32 PM
  • Hi cowboy,

Seems that the Order ID column is a list column. 

In SharePoint, list column cannot be searched by default. You need to create a Managed Property for your list column in CA > Search Service Application. Then map this managed property to the Crawl Property. After doing above, run a full crawl, and you can search your column.

Of course, there is a better solution. Just creating a site column called "Order ID1" and add it to your list(use this site column to keep your ID numbers). Then run a full crawl, and you can directly search it.

Best regards,

Allen Bai

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Monday, November 19, 2018 7:03 AM
  • I can not find the column in the Managed Properties Listing:

there is nothing listed nor can I find the Order ID # in the list

Is there a certain way to search of the a text  Column with that name?

Monday, November 19, 2018 3:43 PM
  • I do not have access to the CA. Is there a way I can create a Managed Property for the column

I thought all list columns created in a list got a managed property ?

Why Can I not find the managed property for the column I created, or do I need to create the managed property?

Monday, November 19, 2018 3:45 PM
  • Hi cowboy,

If you do not have access to CA, this cannot be done. You need to ask the admin for helping you create a managed property in CA.

In addition, for your situation, I would suggest your create a site column instead a list column. Then ask for a full crawl and you can search for them.

Best regards,

Allen Bai

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Tuesday, November 20, 2018 2:09 AM
  • Hi cowboy,

If you think my suggestion is helpful, you could mark it as an answer. It will help others who meet the similar question in this forum. Also others will directly see the answer.

Thanks for your understanding!

Best regards,

Allen Bai

Thursday, November 29, 2018 7:02 AM
  • I am Waiting for the full or incremental Crawl that is schedule by the company to see if the Site Column Solution works.

Update:
    I am not sure when the company has a full crawl schedule, they did an incremental crawl over night, no success on using the Site Column Created to be found using the Find an Item.

I even told the list to reindex the night before. Probably need to wait for a full crawl as stated before the site column will be found.

• Edited by cowboy2066 Friday, December 7, 2018 3:09 PM
    Thursday, December 6, 2018 6:28 PM
  • I created the Site Column OrderID#1 and as of today when I use the Find an Item search box the column data is NOT found.
    Monday, December 10, 2018 4:26 PM
  • Hi,

Make sure you are following below steps:

1. Create the site column

2. Add the site column to a list/library and give value to this column.

3. run a full crawl.

Pay attention that you should run the full crawl at last.

Best regards,

Allen Bai

Wednesday, December 12, 2018 5:58 AM