Form Generator? RRS feed

• Question

• User-1592567188 posted

I'm in the process of getting ready to build an event registration application.  I would like to generate a form on the fly by either entering the details of the form into a database or an xml file.  Then I would like to have the information that was entered in the form saved into a database.  Is there a product or open source project that can do this?  I've seen an xml form generator, but I thought I would see if there are any other options.

Thursday, April 1, 2010 2:24 PM

All replies

• User1564875471 posted

Please make sure  to checkout ASP.NET Dynamic data(DD)project.

The way the DD works is that it will scaffold (build) the forms based on a predefined model (in most cases, the model will be a LINQ to sql or EF models).It allows you to customize the page for one of your database table if you want.It also allow you to add cusom validations and meta data by using the DD Meta data atributes (which is working by decorating your model with attributes).

There are a lot of resources on DD:

http://www.asp.net/dynamicdata/

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc488545.aspx

Tuesday, April 6, 2010 2:35 AM
  • User-1592567188 posted

I looked over Dynamic Data and it looks like it is perfect for CRUD applications, but I'm not sure if it would meet my needs for this project.

I'll describe my project a little bit more. 

My project is an event registration application.  Each event will be different from the other and there will be different of users from various clients that would sign up for an event.  I was planning on having different masterpages/templates for each client. 

Example: Client A users would see the Client A theme on the registration form for the Client A event.  Each client could have multiple events.

I need to store the event data in a database.  Each client would have a power user that could see who has signed up for each event. 

Could Dyanmic Data do the customized features?

Wednesday, April 7, 2010 3:45 PM
  • User1564875471 posted

Each event will be different from the othe

How they will be different ? in style ? in structure ?

I was planning on having different masterpages/templates for each client. 

Yes that's easy in ASP.NET, you can assign each client special MasterPage and style.

I still don't see any requirment for dynamic forms or to use the Dynamic data.All of the mentioned requirment can be done easily in ASP.NET web forms.

Thursday, April 8, 2010 3:59 PM
  • User-1592567188 posted

I left out a major detail on my project description.  I would like the end user/web designer to be able to create the form via a browser.  The idea behind the system would be to save time and get registrations completed faster. 

I think I found what I was looking for: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa478957.aspx 

Thursday, April 8, 2010 4:42 PM