who can access to my data on Azure DC? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everyone, some of my customers concerned about to put data into an US company....they says that if US government wants to access/read their data, he could do this. I says them that no-one could access to their storage....but....am I right? Is there any documentation about this argument?
    Monday, June 26, 2017 9:42 AM

Answers

• The German data centers are not owned by Microsoft, they are a special "sovereign" data center which is run by Deutsche Telekom. As DT is not a US company they are not required to comply with US Government requests in the same manner.

Sam Cogan Microsoft Azure MVP
    Blog | Twitter

• Marked as answer by Nhio82 Wednesday, June 28, 2017 4:56 PM
    Wednesday, June 28, 2017 9:23 AM
  • If you are storing data in Azure storage then Microsoft are able to access this data. They have very strict policies on when they would do this, particularly when related to government and law enforcement requests,  but if they receive a valid request that legally requires them to provide your data they will comply. You can find all the details on this in the Microsoft Trust Center, specifically this page.

If this is a concern for you then the recommended approach would be for you to encrypt your data in the storage account with your own key.

Blog | Twitter

• Marked as answer by Nhio82 Tuesday, June 27, 2017 6:21 AM
    Monday, June 26, 2017 10:59 AM

All replies

• If you are storing data in Azure storage then Microsoft are able to access this data. They have very strict policies on when they would do this, particularly when related to government and law enforcement requests,  but if they receive a valid request that legally requires them to provide your data they will comply. You can find all the details on this in the Microsoft Trust Center, specifically this page.

If this is a concern for you then the recommended approach would be for you to encrypt your data in the storage account with your own key.

Blog | Twitter

• Marked as answer by Nhio82 Tuesday, June 27, 2017 6:21 AM
    Monday, June 26, 2017 10:59 AM
  • Azure has DCs outside of the US (outside of the US legal boundary), e.g. Germany. You can read up here on the difference in terms of data protection:

https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/overview/clouds/germany/ 

Monday, June 26, 2017 4:05 PM
  • Azure has DCs outside of the US (outside of the US legal boundary), e.g. Germany. You can read up here on the difference in terms of data protection:

https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/overview/clouds/germany/ 

Thank you, actually I am considering only german datacenter. I read the link you provided me, but I can't find a clear and explicit information.
    I read:

Even Microsoft does not have access to customer data or the datacenters without approval from and supervision by the German data trustee

so... who is "German data trutee"? And again, can US government access to Azure German Datacenter?

Wednesday, June 28, 2017 6:35 AM
  • The German data centers are not owned by Microsoft, they are a special "sovereign" data center which is run by Deutsche Telekom. As DT is not a US company they are not required to comply with US Government requests in the same manner.

Blog | Twitter

• Marked as answer by Nhio82 Wednesday, June 28, 2017 4:56 PM
    Wednesday, June 28, 2017 9:23 AM