none
Can't get IIS to run. Also, is it right to have 2 folders for IIS? IIS and IIS Express RRS feed

• Question

•  Under c:\program files (x86) , I see that I have two folders for IIS (but only one in control panel)

One folder is named IIS and the other is named IIS Express.

In control panel, IIS Express is ghosted but there. I go to turn windows features on or off and then try to put check in box for Internent Information Services as shown below in screen shots but I end up with the last screen shot "Windows couldn't complete the requested changes."

Things that may matter on solution: I had installed newest versions of Visual studio 2019 and SQL Server free edition (2017) and I also had several other SQL Server versions. But I decided I needed to go back to VS 2008 and SQL Server 2005. So I unistalled all the higher versions/upgrades. Now I only have the lower versions. When I tried to install SQL Server 2005 Express (which is the edition my database looks for) it states it could not install because IIS is not installed.

Now that is what I am trying to do. I have searched using command prompt and regedit and IIS is not installed on machine anywhere. (I tried all 5 steps from this article: <https://www.itechtics.com/check-iis-version/#How_to_determine_If_IIS_is_installed_on_your_computer>  and it appears it is definitely NOT installed on my computer.

I don't know what else to do. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

• Edited by RaekC Sunday, June 16, 2019 6:39 PM
    Sunday, June 16, 2019 6:25 PM

Answers

• Hi Lance:
    I did get IIS to intall after upgrading Windows to 1903 as I said but still had problems

until I uninstalled Visual Studio, then re-installed. Now when I create a new project, I can view it in browser.  IIS works!

(I still can't get the page you showed above if I type in localhost in a brower window.) Not sure if that's something I need to worry with.

• Edited by RaekC Saturday, July 6, 2019 11:42 PM typos, clarity
    • Marked as answer by RaekC Saturday, July 6, 2019 11:42 PM
    Saturday, July 6, 2019 11:41 PM

All replies

• Hi RaekC,

Welcome to MSDN forum.

>>Can't get IIS to run. Also, is it right to have 2 folders for IIS? IIS and IIS Express

To check if the IIS is installed successfully, please open the IE explorer or Edge, then enter localhost and you can get this page if you've installed IIS components:

And yes, it's right to have two folders for IIS, IIS and IIS express.(I've checked several machines)

>>but I end up with the last screen shot "Windows couldn't complete the requested changes."

It indicates that the IIS is not installed well. Maybe you can get some help from this thread.

And what's your OS version? Since Sql Server 2005 is quite old version and I doubt if it is supported in your OS version. Check this document for more details about its requirements.

Hope all above helps. Any feedback would be expected!

Best Regards

Lance

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, June 17, 2019 6:23 AM
  • Hello: Thank you for responding. My windows op. system is windows 10. 64 bit.

I tried http://local machine and get an error. I don't have it. I clicked on links to open up that error and I have posted what all is states below.

I uninstalled all later versions of VS and SQL as well as the SQL Server 2005.

I also unistalled my VS 2008 professional edition since I thought maybe that was a problem since I had done the upgrade but never uninstalled it.

So I reinstalled the VS 2008 Professional Edition. Then I tried to go into turn windows features on/off again and IIS  still would not install.

So now I have uninstalled IIS Express. Do I need to pay for it? Is that the problem? Or should I get an older version since I'm using VS 2008?

UPDATE/EDIT: I just tried installing from a clean boot and result was no different. Still would not install.

I also tried this:

• dism /online /enable-feature /featurename:netfx3 /all /source:c:\sxs /limitaccess
        • In the Command Prompt window, type the following command and press Enter:
          dism /online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

(which was suggested on one of the links shown with the error 0x800F0922 : at: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2734782/net-framework-3-5-installation-error-0x800f0906-0x800f081f-0x800f0907 ) Was not helpful at all.

As for the other part of that suggestion to open the SXS folder, I could not figure out how to get to that folder.

• I ran the Microsoft NTFXRepairTool. It couldn't fix it.

• It was all working before I unistalled Visual Studio 2019.

• Edited by RaekC Tuesday, June 18, 2019 12:25 AM
    Monday, June 17, 2019 6:10 PM
  • Hi Raekc,

Maybe you can get some help from steps below:

1.Please make sure your account has the Admin permission and Update your windows OS to latest 1903.

2.Then run cmd.exe as Admin and type  sfc /scannow command to repair missing or corrupted system files.

And since this issue is more related to Sql Server installation and IIS, I suggest you can open a new thread in IIS forum to get more professional support. Thanks for your understanding.

Best Regards

Lance

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, June 18, 2019 7:30 AM
  • I will try the new update this weekend. Afraid to do it now since need computer working during week.

I don't know if I mentioned it or not as I've done so many things/tried so many things but it appears that my problem's source isn't IIS - its ASP.Net 3.5 not installing.

When I try clicking the two boxes under ASP.Net 3.5 as shown below in photo, it tries then states windows could not complete the changes and needs to reboot.

.NET 3.5

I've tried one at a time, all at a time, etc. I tried all the methods in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FswazwP9_7U

The last method requiring a windows flash drive and running code:

@echo off
    Title .NET Framework 3.5 Offline Installer
    echo Installing .NET Framework 3.5...
    Dism /online /enable-feature /featurename:NetFX3 /All /Source:E:\sources\sxs /LimitAccess
    echo.
    echo .NET Framework 3.5 should be installed echo.
    ) else (
    echo No installation media found!
    echo Insert DVD or USB flash drive and run this file once again.
    echo.
    )
    pause

Neither that or first two methods he had worked.

Next tried enabling component setting in Group Policy (from:https://www.drivereasy.com/knowledge/how-to-fix-net-framework-3-5-error-code-0x800f081f/) That didn't work either.

(Also can you please tell me if I am supposed to have other boxes checked under the ASP.NET 4.7 or just the ones that are already checked?)

Thank you

• Edited by RaekC Tuesday, June 18, 2019 5:26 PM more info
    Tuesday, June 18, 2019 5:24 PM
  • Hi RaeKC,

Sorry for the delay. 

>>it appears that my problem's source isn't IIS - its ASP.Net 3.5 not installing.

Maybe what you mean is .net framework 3.5. Please make sure you have the Admin Permission and try:

1. Windows+R to open Run box, then enter Regedit to open Registry Editor

2. Then navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU folder, double-click the UseWUServer(UseWindowsUpdateServer) and change the value to 0.

3. After that, please restart your computer to make the changes take effect

4. Check if we can install the .net 3.5 framework now

Hope it helps:) Any feedback would be expected!

Best Regards

Lance

MSDN Community Support

Wednesday, June 19, 2019 9:58 AM
  • Thank you so much. I will try that and post back result.

I did this:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKJ8AWM8Fh8

and windows stated that it DID complete the changes without any problems.

But I'm not sure if I'm supposed to have the sub boxes under .NET framework 3.5 checked or not for IIS to run.

Should I be able to check those? Because when I try to check those sub boxes, that is when I get message that windows can't complete the changes. Again, I'm not sure which boxes I should be checking to enable IIS to work. Can you tell me please which boxes I need checked for IIS to run?

Wednesday, June 19, 2019 12:16 PM
  • Hi RaekC,

For .net 3.5:

1.You can try the solution in my last reply to install the .net framework 3.5.

2.And you're not supposed to check the sub boxes under .net 3.5, the .Net Framework 3.5(includes .net2.0 and .net3.0) is enough. Check my settings:

I haven't checked those two boxes. 

3.To get IIS to work, you need to Check the Internet Information Service checkbox.

4.Then open IE or Edge or other explorers, type localhost and Enter, if you get this page:

The IIS is running in your machine now.

And according to your picture, you've installed .net framework 3.5 successfully. (You can use Visual STuido to create a new C# .net framework project, check if the .net 3.5 is available). Then the rest of the issue is about IIS in windows, since this is VS general forum, we talk about general questions about usage of Visual Studio, I suggest you open a new thread in IIS forum

And if my reply is helpful you could consider marking it as answer. Then I can archive this thread for you. Thanks for your understanding.

Best Regards

Lance

MSDN Community Support

Thursday, June 20, 2019 5:33 AM
  • I did the windows upgrade and now IIS installs when I check everything. I no longer get the error that windows couldn't complete the changes. However when I type in local host I don't get that screen you showed.

I get this message on IE:

Can’t reach this page
    • Check that all network cables are plugged in.
    • Verify that airplane mode is turned off.
    • Make sure your wireless switch is turned on.
    • See if you can connect to mobile broadband.
    • Restart your router.
    More information More information <noscript>&lt;id id="moreInformation"&gt;More information&lt;/id&gt;</noscript>

There was a temporary DNS error. Try refreshing the page.

Error Code: INET_E_RESOURCE_NOT_FOUND

Thursday, July 4, 2019 10:02 PM
  • Hi RaekC,

Glad to know that you can install the IIS now. Please make sure first the IIS related option is enabled:

Then restart the PC to check if this issue goes away.(Sometimes the change won't take effect until OS restart)

After that, if the issue persists i would think this is related to this issue, try the suggestions and answers in it and hope it helps.

Best Regards

Lance

MSDN Community Support

Friday, July 5, 2019 3:23 AM
  • Hi Lance:
    I did get IIS to intall after upgrading Windows to 1903 as I said but still had problems

until I uninstalled Visual Studio, then re-installed. Now when I create a new project, I can view it in browser.  IIS works!

(I still can't get the page you showed above if I type in localhost in a brower window.) Not sure if that's something I need to worry with.

• Edited by RaekC Saturday, July 6, 2019 11:42 PM typos, clarity
    • Marked as answer by RaekC Saturday, July 6, 2019 11:42 PM
    Saturday, July 6, 2019 11:41 PM