WF development strategy? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm new to WF.

Although it seems fascinating I am not sure how a development strategy can be built upon it.

I know how to create a workflow, how to get the in/out arguments and the like but would somebody please tell me how do you design an application structure when you are to use WF? Do you use this as your BL layer and have it to do all the interactions with the DLL and the other persistence mediums? Where do you put this in MVVM for instance?

And something else. I understand WF uses XAML syntax to define work flows. Can this be used to have some sort of dynamic business logic? I mean can this be open to the end user to change the XAML files -through some sort of UI of course- to change the way the application works?

Tuesday, July 19, 2011 5:49 AM

Answers

• Hi, Vahid

Usually, we deloy workflow application as services, client-end application use workflow by service calling. for example. you want to create a Leave Request Workflow System.
    First, you define workflow services(xamlx). then ,deploy this workflow service application to IIS/Appfabric. next, for the client end application , it could be ASP.NET/WPF/silverlight... application. this client-end application use workflow by calling workflow services.

->"And something else. I understand WF uses XAML syntax to define work flows. Can this be used to have some sort of dynamic business logic?"
    WF3/3.5 rule engine is still working in .NET 4.0. You can also use the WF4 Expression to define the dynamic business logic. you can change the expression and rerun workflow without building again.

For the WF4 Activity Best Practices Sample, see also this:
    http://archive.msdn.microsoft.com/wf4BP

Hope this helps.
    MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. My Blog: http://xhinker.com
    Microsoft Windows Workflow Foundation 4.0 Cookbook
    • Marked as answer by Vahid Tavana Monday, July 25, 2011 7:14 AM
    Monday, July 25, 2011 7:00 AM