none
Local Report(.rdlc) Export to Excel is taking lot of time RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,
    I'm new to reports. I'm facing a problem when exporting some 15k lines data to Excel.  I'm just giving all the details.
    I've designed a report locally (.rdlc) using the integrated report controls in the VS 2005.
    I'm using ReportViewer control to show the report (not using any report server). My report has 4 tables. Each table has grouping on some 3 columns and all 3 are drilldown.

Now, for some conditions, my SP will give some 15k lines of data. While showing that much of data using report viewer control in the web page is not taking much time, but when i export the data to excel, its taking so much time and sometimes it is saying "Low virtual Memory". After this export (even i close the export window), the complete web application is becoming very slow.

I dont have any other option to export other than excel, since i'm using local report.

Can you plz help me how can i solve this issue.

Plz let me know if u need more details..

Thanks
    Venky
    Tuesday, November 18, 2008 7:43 PM

All replies

• Hi Venky,

Exporting to Excel is memory intensive operation and 15k rows can be a lot of data for the converting to Excel format. If you really need performance and scalability, you would need to move to the server mode version.

Possible work arounds would include reducing the data or reducing the amount of aggregation and grouping in the report.
    Brad Syputa, Microsoft Reporting Services This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties.
    Friday, November 21, 2008 6:52 PM
  • Hi Brad,
    Thanks for the Answer.
    Even if i switch to servermode, the process of converting to excel and forming the drill down format in the excel would be same right?
    Will it solve my issue if i have same number of records and same number of groupings?

Thursday, November 27, 2008 8:40 AM