none
How to create a a single .exe file form a project

Question

• does anyone know how to create a single exe file from a project? it mean if anyone else try to install my app, doesnt need to install such a xampp manually. my project include a mysql database, and using Crystal Report as a report viewer.

I use Visual studio 2010, and xampp as server

Monday, May 16, 2016 8:27 AM

Answers

• Hi,

I think that this is nothing easy and you should check your design.

If your application is using mysql and apache and stuff like that, then you wanted to have
    - a dedicated webserver
    - a dedicated SQL Server

That is not part of your application and "users" of your application normaly decide how they want to install it. So it is recommend to build a setup where people can decide what they want to install and where they want to install it.

Of course: It might be possible to wrap everything into one exe. That will be a big executable which will then act like a sandbox for all included parts. (A little bit like App-V - I saw 3rd party vendors who offered stuff like that in the past.) But building something like that simply prooves that you failed when thinking about the design because you prooved that you do not need a SQL server.

So instead of mysql you might have taken some solution like sqlite or SQL Server CE. Maybe Apache is not required at all (a stand alone WCF application might have been a better aproach depending on the requirements).

At least that is my view on this topic.

With kind regards,

Konrad 

Monday, May 16, 2016 11:14 AM