UWP and Windows 8.1 packages management RRS feed

• Question

• Suppose I have a Windows 8.1 package and an UWP package with minimum target - Fall Creators Update.

Will they cover all Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 (except mobile below Fall Creators Update) users?

I assume that users with Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 (1507, November Update, Anniversary Update, Creators Update) will get Windows 8.1 package, and users with Windows 10 Fall Creators Update will get UWP package.

Am I right?

• Moved by Mattew Wu Friday, October 27, 2017 1:49 AM
    Wednesday, October 25, 2017 1:54 AM

Answers

• Hi Ivan,

By default, Windows 10 desktop device can run apps built for Windows 8.1. If you add UWP packages later, they will get it as an update from Store.

For the Windows device running on OS lower than Fall Creators Update, they will get your Windows 8.1 package since they will not be able to get the UWP one.

So, you're right. And you could add UWP package for them if you change the minimum target on your next submission.

For more details, you could refer to Guidance for app package management.

If it helps, you might as well mark it as answer so that other community could also find it conveniently.

Best regards,

Mattew Wu

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Ivan Zinovyev Wednesday, October 25, 2017 9:04 AM
    Wednesday, October 25, 2017 6:11 AM