none
Visual Studio 2017 - VERY SLOW to open Extensions & Updates

Question

• I wonder if anyone can help me. I have installed VS2017 Professional on the same machine I have VS2015 and I have a problem opening the "Extensions & Updates" of VS2017. I click the relevant option in the menu, the UI becomes unresponsive, I get the Visual Studio is busy message in my task tray and after about 6 minutes the extensions and updates finally displays and works.

The only extensions listed and installed are ones that came with VS2017.

How can I fix it so that it opens the extensions and updates quickly. With VS2015 it opens almost immediately. On a colleagues machine he does not have the problem, so there is something wrong on my machine, but what is it?

I did install a third party extension initially and then uninstalled it as it wasn't working, maybe this has broken it, but surely once it's uninstalled, which it is, it should not have any effect on the rest?

• Edited by Shark75 Tuesday, April 04, 2017 10:15 AM
    Tuesday, April 04, 2017 10:04 AM

All replies

• Hi Shark75,

Welcome to the MSDN forum.

>> I did install a third party extension initially and then uninstalled it as it wasn't working

Did you install this extension through Tools-Extensions and Updates? If so, does this slow issue happens when you initially installed VS 2017?

Please have a try with the following to troubleshot if something broken in VS 2017:

1. Re-run the VS 2017 installer as administrator and click the icon beside ‘Modify’ and ‘Launch’, then choose ‘Repair’ to repair VS 2017.

2. Go to the VS 2017 installation location, usually locates C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\xxx\Common7\IDE and run the following commands. After each command, reopen VS to check this issue.

devenv /resetuserdata: clear the old user data

devenv /safemode: run the VS as safe, if it works fine that means the installed extensions may be corrupted the VS, please go to Tool—Extensions and Updates… and remove all installed extensions one by one to find the culprit.

Best regards,

Sara

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, April 05, 2017 6:44 AM