Creating a basic database and linking it to your Windows 8.1/Phone 8.1 RT App

Question

• Hi guys

I was wondering if anyone could help. I want to create a basic database that stores a "number" with a corresponding "text" string. The user of the specific apps can then enter the "number" and the Text corresponding to that specific number will then be displayed.

This database should be open so I can update the text whenever I see fit.

What services can I use, how would I go about accomplishing this?

I'm using C#
    • Edited by DreyerSmit Tuesday, June 17, 2014 3:28 PM edit
    Tuesday, June 17, 2014 3:28 PM

Answers

• Sounds like a good fit for Azure Mobile Services.
    • Marked as answer by DreyerSmit Friday, June 20, 2014 2:05 PM
    Tuesday, June 17, 2014 4:22 PM
    Owner
  • It sounds like something either went wrong in the download or you have a problem with your install.

The app generated by the Azure Mobile Services portal should work without changes. Microsoft.WindowsAzure.Mobile should automatically be referenced.

If you search NuGet for Azure Mobile you should find several packages, including "Windows Azure Mobile Services".

Thursday, June 19, 2014 10:50 PM
    Owner

All replies

• For simple data like you describe here you can store it in local (or roaming) settings. See http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windowsphone/develop/hh700361.aspx

Other options are to store in a file or to use a database such as SQLite

I'm not sure what you mean by "This database should be open so I can update the text whenever I see fit"

Tuesday, June 17, 2014 3:37 PM
    Owner
  • Hi

What I meant was the database should be online, not locally stored. I would like to update this database without the user having to update their app.

Tuesday, June 17, 2014 4:15 PM
  • Sounds like a good fit for Azure Mobile Services.
    Tuesday, June 17, 2014 4:22 PM
    Owner
  • I've been looking at Azure services but I have the following problem:

My App (Test app) is built in C# XAML Windows Runtime and when I download the package and try to add it to my solution it gives me the following error:

Unsupported
    This version of Visual Studio is unable to open the following projects. The project types may not be installed or this version of Visual Studio may not support them.
    For more information on enabling these project types or otherwise migrating your assets, please see the details in the "Migration Report" displayed after clicking OK.
      - TaxDatabaseService, "C:\Users\Dreyer\Documents\Visual Studio 2013\Projects\App1\TaxDatabase\TaxDatabaseService\TaxDatabaseService.csproj"

No changes required
    These projects can be opened in Visual Studio 2013, Visual Studio 2012, and Visual Studio 2010 SP1 without changing them.
      - App1, "C:\Users\Dreyer\documents\visual studio 2013\Projects\App1\App1.sln"

I also have to add a reference to the WindowsAzure.MobileServices to the project. But the only available package is for WinJS and when I add that, it can't be referenced as it doesn't show up in my 'Add Reference' window.

Any insight into these errors? I'm running Visual Studio 2013 Update 2

• Edited by DreyerSmit Wednesday, June 18, 2014 11:52 AM None
    Wednesday, June 18, 2014 11:51 AM
  • It sounds like something either went wrong in the download or you have a problem with your install.

The app generated by the Azure Mobile Services portal should work without changes. Microsoft.WindowsAzure.Mobile should automatically be referenced.

If you search NuGet for Azure Mobile you should find several packages, including "Windows Azure Mobile Services".

Thursday, June 19, 2014 10:50 PM
    Owner
  • Hi

The only package available for my Windows 8.1 RT apps under NuGet is WindowsAzure.MobileServices for WinJS. The set up doesn't specify whether this is the correct one or not. If I download and install it, the program still doesn't want to reference to this package.

Are there other packages I need to install. The sample app works as a standalone, but I want to connect an existing app to Windows Azure and this is where the issues are coming in.

I'm using Windows 8.1 C# Runtime on VS 2013 Update 2.

I've reinstalled Visual Studio.

Friday, June 20, 2014 8:55 AM
  • Hi

After several hours of figuring it out, it seems like the search function is broken in VS. It sometimes doesn't show all the Azure packages. After a few tries I finally got the correct packages and it works.

Thanks.

Friday, June 20, 2014 2:05 PM