run application to login to windows ,can't I? RRS feed

• Question

• I want my program to enter password to login page of windows (All version , xp , Vista , 7 etc.) How can I do this ?
    • Edited by LovelyLoner Friday, August 26, 2011 5:33 PM
    • Moved by Leo Liu - MSFT Monday, August 29, 2011 9:56 AM Moved for better support. (From:Visual C# General)
    Friday, August 26, 2011 5:05 PM

All replies

• Hi,

This question does not make that much sense.  If you want to write a program to enter a username and password at the windows login screen I think you are out of luck. 

What is "project to request quota of university"? 

Friday, August 26, 2011 5:29 PM
  • This does not make alot of sense, as you can just have a password to login anyway trough account settings? 
    You'll have to clarify this a bit more.

Regards,

Dylan Meeus 

0x2B |~ 0x2B Blog : www.it-ca.net/blogdylan
    Friday, August 26, 2011 7:32 PM
  • Login happens from the secure desktop, and you shouldn't be able to write a one off application which runs in the secure desktop.
    Friday, August 26, 2011 8:44 PM
  • The only way to do it is by writing your own credentials provider for Windows.  Only unmanaged code is currently supported AFAIK and it is not a trivial process.  For older OSes it was known as GINA but that system was replaced (with credential providers) starting with Vista IIRC.  You can find documentation here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb648647(v=VS.85).aspx.  Once written it must be installed by an administrator and then takes over authentication from Windows.  Common examples today include secure systems that use biometrics for authentication. 

Michael Taylor - 8/26/2011
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/p3net

Friday, August 26, 2011 9:12 PM
  • I meant I want to login to windows by my program but I don't know how to make that truth.
    Saturday, August 27, 2011 3:35 AM
  • Hey LovelyLoner As all suggested I also suggest the same because you can not reach your application before windows login.But you can run your application in Startup.After windows login your application will run and you can show the whole login form in your screen.Similar way as in Cafe shop.Where after login to windows you dont have access to other programs but you have to login via their software which runs on top.Once you login your timer starts and when your time ends( 1 hr ,2 hr etc) again the same login screen will appear.

I hope it will be helpful.

Want to add MVP with my name.
    Saturday, August 27, 2011 5:01 AM
  • You cannot log into windows as a regular user but you can run your application as a service that runs when the system starts (like IIS does)

Look up creating a windows service.

There are also programs that will turn your program into a service.

hope this helps...Country Style

Saturday, August 27, 2011 8:40 PM
  • You cannot log into windows as a regular user but you can run your application as a service that runs when the system starts (like IIS does)

Look up creating a windows service.

There are also programs that will turn your program into a service.

hope this helps...Country Style

Saturday, August 27, 2011 8:41 PM
  • Why do you want your program to log into Windows?
    Saturday, August 27, 2011 10:56 PM
  • Why do you want your program to log into Windows?
    the OP mentioned something about gathering info from a university......I think the only legit use for this is to make it look like someone is at a computer when they are not....wait....I don't think that is legit.
    Sunday, August 28, 2011 12:24 AM
  • Hi LovelyLoner,

I am moving your thread into the Application Security for Windows Desktop Forum for specialized support.
    Have a nice day,

Leo Liu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Monday, August 29, 2011 9:57 AM