SSL Certification on multiple SQL Server Instance RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have ONE physical server with multiple SQL instances and they are going to be part of Always On.

Can I use ONE SSL Certificate for all the instances that are going to be part of Always On? The certificate I have created is servername.domain.com

Thanks in advance

Monday, January 27, 2014 8:16 PM

All replies

• Hi Shiva Gangadhar,

According to your description, If you want to use encryption with a failover cluster, you must install the server certificate with the fully qualified DNS name of the failover clustered instance on all nodes in the failover cluster. Usually, a X.509 certificate must be configured for each participating server node in the failover cluster with a list of all availability group listeners set in the Subject Alternate Name of the certificate. For example, if you have a two-node cluster, you must obtain a certificate and install the certificate on both nodes.

For more information about availability group listener and SSL Certificates. you can review the following articles.
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh213417.aspx#SSLcertificates

Regards,
    Sofiya Li

If you have any feedback on our support, please click here.

Sofiya Li
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, January 28, 2014 8:28 AM
  • Hi Sofiya,

Thanks for the response. My question is now changed a little bit

Is there an option to have one certificate per each listener? Example: If I have 2 SQL Instance Instance1 and Instance2.

Can I have SSL1 for Instance1 and SSL2 for Instance2?

Appreciate the response

Tuesday, January 28, 2014 5:37 PM