none
Attaching properties registered with PSRegisterPropertySchema to a Word doc ... and seeing them in Explorer RRS feed

• Question

• I have defined Extended Shell properties using PSRegisterPropertySchema that show up in the Windows 7 Windows Exporer.  E.g.:

<propertyDescription name="MyCorp.Meta.StationId" formatID="{7D51FD52-8634-4920-B5F7-1A628D1B32DB}" propID="401">
          <description>Station Id</description>
          <searchInfo inInvertedIndex="true" isColumn="true" columnIndexType="OnDisk"/>
          <typeInfo type="String" multipleValues="false" isViewable="true" isQueryable="true"/>
          <labelInfo label="Station Id" invitationText="Specify Station Id" />
          <displayInfo displayType="String" />
        </propertyDescription>
    But in the Custom tab of the document properties for a Word 2010 document, this property does not show up as an option in the scrollbox.  When I add it as "MyCorp.Meta.StationId" or "StationId" or "Station Id", the value does not show up and the corresponding column in Windows Explorer remains blank.  How do I get metadata associated with my Word document to appear in Windows Explorer? 

I found this page http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa380374(v=vs.85).aspx and tried setting my formatId to D5CDD502-2E9C-101B-9397-08002B2CF9AE, but this did not change the results.
    • Edited by kenglish63 Friday, March 22, 2013 8:44 PM
    Friday, March 22, 2013 12:37 AM

Answers

• I was able to make this work (sort of) by defining my shell properties using the formatId D5CDD505-2E9C-101B-9397-08002B2CF9AE with propIDs counting up from 2.  These will match up with custom properties added to the Word doc ACCORDING TO THE ORDER IN WHICH THE PROPERTIES ARE ADDED to the Word doc.  I verified that the property names themselves are completely ignored when matching the word properties to the explorer properties.  Since in this case I will be generating the Word docs programatically this will work for me, but this is exceptionally ugly. 

Friday, March 22, 2013 11:28 PM

All replies

• I was able to make this work (sort of) by defining my shell properties using the formatId D5CDD505-2E9C-101B-9397-08002B2CF9AE with propIDs counting up from 2.  These will match up with custom properties added to the Word doc ACCORDING TO THE ORDER IN WHICH THE PROPERTIES ARE ADDED to the Word doc.  I verified that the property names themselves are completely ignored when matching the word properties to the explorer properties.  Since in this case I will be generating the Word docs programatically this will work for me, but this is exceptionally ugly. 

Friday, March 22, 2013 11:28 PM
  • Hi Kenglish63,

I'm glad to hear that your issue has been resolved.

Thank you for sharing your solution which might be very helpful to other community members.

Have a nice day.

Quist Zhang [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Monday, March 25, 2013 2:41 AM