none
Veritable Alternative to Lightswitch!

General discussion

• Hello colleagues, I want to share with you the real alternative to Lightswitch .

few months I am working with CUBA PLATFORM , an excellent framework for creating LOB applications in seconds, even better than with LightSwitch ago.

I also want to invite you to try it and to experience as you can see in the web forums https://www.cuba-platform.com/support/ that there is a constant support from the manufacturer , and also allow us to constantly provide ideas improvement Framework.

You can observe my Threats and you will see that there are many who are ideas that are already being implemented .

We have monthly new version with many new features and next month we will have support Multi Database .

Bears , reports , graphs , maps i a lot of other things.

I , from September will migrate most of the projects CUBA Platform.

Greetings fellow and I hope to see you in this new way we started.

a hug
    Friday, August 12, 2016 7:39 AM

All replies

• Thanks Ivan, appreciate the feedback. Do you have any thoughts on comparing it with Serenety (mentioned elsewhere on the forum)?

Regards, Xander. My Blog

Friday, August 12, 2016 9:06 AM
  • From my 2 minute look at it, it appears to be using the same UI (AdminLTE) that Serenity does, though the cuba homepage mentions it's written in Java.
    Friday, August 12, 2016 10:37 PM
  • Serenity implements similar functionality to the CUBA Platform. Still, there are a number of aspects I would like to note after small research (tried to developed Library sample):

● The first thing, where CUBA Platform wins is documentation and support. Serenity gives you just enough information to start, while CUBA covers most aspects of the enterprise software development.

● I do not want to incite the Java vs .NET holy war, just want to express my point of view: java has more perspectives in the world of enterprise web application development . So, CUBA is pure Java Standard Edition, and with Serenity you should have understanding of .NET and JavaScript.

● Community of the CUBA Platfom looks much bigger, at least according to the secondary facts as facebook page, articles in their blog and, most important, activityon the support forum.

● Support for different databases and operation systems ­ no comments, CUBA is thewinner.

● Regarding runtime features: Security is comparable, still, in the CUBA Platform it doesn’t require any coding, when in Serenity you should implement the following interfaces:

IAuthenticationService,IAuthorizationService,IPermissionService,IUserRetrieve

Service. Reports ­ no doubt, CUBA’s one more advanced, as it has UI and even wizard to create reports in runtime. Finally, Serenity doesn’t have a number of important enterprise functionality I almost for every app: Scheduled Tasks, Data Recovery, Dynamic Attributes (EAV).

● Data binding in CUBA is more flexible and works better for big databases as it just wraps one of the most popular ORM implementations (Eclipselink), but, generally, both frameworks have the same idea of an easy data binding.

● I could go on and Just try to get the same CRUD application up in running from scratch and you will see where and how which framework wins. Personally for me Serenity can be seen as a competitor of the CUBA Platform if and only if you are an adept of Microsoft and religiously cannot touch Java.
    Monday, August 15, 2016 11:21 AM
  • Thanks again Ivan, I'm more intrigued now to test drive CUBA.

This is an interesting perspective as well:

My personal CRUD story – or how i came to CUBA platform

And they have interesting articles on their blog:

https://www.cuba-platform.com/blog

ps. CUBA does support MS SQL Server, but uses GUID based PKs:

https://doc.cuba-platform.com/manual-6.2/db_mssql_features.html

Regards, Xander. My Blog

• Edited by novascape Monday, August 15, 2016 9:17 PM
    Monday, August 15, 2016 9:14 PM
  • Actually CUBA uses UUID only by default. There are BaseLongIdEntity and BaseIntegerIdEntity classes in the platform, that can be used in case of numeric Ids. Also, according to the following forum posts https://www.cuba-platform.com/support/topic/attach-external-databases#comment-1068  https://www.cuba-platform.com/support/topic/attach-external-databases#comment-1377, the CUBA team is going to support Identity type in the next release.
    Tuesday, August 16, 2016 8:56 AM
  • I have spent quite a bit of time with CUBA over the last couple of weeks and the platform is amazing. If one can get past the fact that is a Java based platform (for us coming from a .NET world) then it is a no brainer decision to go with it.

The speed with which you can develop scalable enterprise quality applications is quite something. You can use the point and click designer to design entities and screens and use your favorite Java IDE to edit the Java source code where required.

Although you can accomplish a lot with their Studio (designer), you get the impression that there is so much power and extensibility under the hood that you are not likely to paint yourself into a corner as sometimes happen with RAD tools.

Like all platforms there is a bit of a learning curve, but once you get the general hang of it you can become very productive, quickly.

I'm quite impressed how well their entity designer updates the database with no drama whatsoever. I also experimented with .NET Core EF and migrations recently and very quickly found myself in a position where the migrations stopped working and I spent a couple of hours trying to reverse migrations and get the code and database back in sync. This may of course be due to my lack of experience with Core EF code migration, but still - I never had that situation with CUBA.

The other thing that impresses is how quickly they evolve CUBA and make new releases.

CUBA also provides support for Polymer out of the box for SPA type mobile apps, although I've only played with one of their samples to see how it works. I assume you can write an Angular app against the REST services as well if you wish.

Anyway, highly recommended for LS users looking for an alternative.

Regards, Xander | filebus.io | Blog

• Edited by novascape Wednesday, March 7, 2018 8:40 PM
    Friday, December 15, 2017 11:11 PM
  • Note that CUBA have also just released their 2018 road map, which notably includes the following:

• Tighter integration with the Community Edition of IntelliJ (the most popular Java IDE)
    • Websocket communication between the tiers (e.g. real-time comms between UI layer and service layer)
    • New addons for WebDAV, LDAP, IMAP and more
    • Support for other UI frameworks like Angular in addition to Polymer
    • Etc

See: https://www.cuba-platform.com/blog/roadmap-2018

Quite an impressive list of upcoming features for the product.

Regards, Xander | filebus.io | Blog

Wednesday, March 7, 2018 8:53 PM
  • Hi,

I have seen a bit on the ".Net Core 2" and some view engines like Razor etc. I have as usual concluded that very many organizations/persons can't program on this level. This will give too many possibilities, and the software will end up in a non-maintainable clutter.

This is why we need software like Lightswitch, Serenity, Radzen, Cuba, Uniface etc., ie. software that unifies the underlying ground  elements to an easy understandable unit.  

I suppose that Microsoft see this, and just want to be the organization that produces the underlying elements.

However I wonder if someone has tried to achieve the same productivity and simplicity by directly using ".Net core", EF, Razor and so on. Perhaps very much could be achieved by a good Razor template-collection and some server templates. After all we usually just need  the support for creating, reading, updating and deleting. Other complex programming is usually just complicated by this kind of RAD-tools. 

Regards Roger.

Thursday, March 15, 2018 7:57 AM
  • Can anyone point to the serenity or other RAD tools directly. I'm a pretty low end developer from another career and I need a tool like this to continue to develop basic Data Models and Control for screens as a backend to some Office Excel Active Sheets with some custom VBA macros for the Pivot tables and slicers. I do a little bit of modification fundamental stuff like conditional logic and loops to get and need to be able to use assemblies in .NET for instance to Start(Run) to open the Active sheets off a local file system or cloud share like SharePoint. I'd like to stick with .NET to build the data base screens and User roles and credentials and still be able to attach to outside data sources like other local or web Db's via a connection string. I am more familiar at this point with the Tree Layout and types of controls Lightswitch uses as well as some custom thing like a list box picker which was a common many to many combo table solution during the project. It sounds like Serenity is the only one that is made for .NET and would have similar XAML, MVC, WPF probably for the new UWP applications. I better try them all out now before this community is gone. Not sure if I have the mental capacity to learn JAVA and their IDE's and all the ways their implementations are designed to fit together.
    Tuesday, April 17, 2018 4:12 AM
  • Hi,

I'm not the right person to recommend anything,  having started to look at these recently.

I think that there have been some discussions about these:

https://www.radzen.com/
    http://serenity.is/
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/aspnet/core/data/ef-rp/intro?view=aspnetcore-2.1

For the time being I'm looking at .net Core and razor pages. There are some functions as Scaffolding, templates etc. that could be interesting in the future. On the other hand, one gets the feeling to be at quite a high level with a lot of details that could be abstracted, at least in a RAD.

Regards Roger.

Thursday, April 19, 2018 10:33 AM
  • Do you know of a good place for content or tutorials to begin using Razor pages and .Net core I'm really only on the level of the High Level RAD developer with only partial code fundamentals formal learning in college.

So I'm asking a lot of my replacement RAD but I need to look at where to get stored or get a complete overview of the abilities and limitations of the RAD replacement I choose.

I'm specifically looking to target the desktop environment by launching other dependencies via click of a button and upload of lists from CSV, text, or excel files the way Excel importer Extension did. Failing that if there is even a RAD that can create screen for a SQL built in RAD GUI interface so I can created and play with the data model. I would like to be able to insert scrip code for the default screens as well in C# if possible as I don't do much is any Javascript or Typescript. I's also need to be able to find a solution for Roles and User screens of Lightswich and the possibility of using something like MVC for self registration. I prefer everything to target a local host LAN verse internet connection to the DB for onsite security as well exceptions for services for data from third parties through something including the complexity of connected tables to split the input between internal generated evidence based practice info and the Standardized Evidence Base Practice info from the third party Reference Service Database. It's really a pretty complicated web under the surface. As for the scripting for thing like calculated fields and Static variables only needing one variable not a table of them I would want all that scripting to run on the application tier. It would be nice to have access to the presentation tier for more editing of the properties of the fields and the formats of the text nd other properties. As well a Data Tier that targets MS SQL. That's just what I can remember off hand. Custom controls may become a need as well if the formatting of the RAD over a control doesn't offer what I need by default.

Friday, April 20, 2018 12:32 AM
  • I think
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/aspnet/core/tutorials/?view=aspnetcore-2.1
    is a good place to start. 
    But as I said; one gets the feeling to be at quite a high level with a lot of details that could be abstracted, at least in a RAD.

I think eg. Radzen is built using .Net Core.
    You seem to want something easy to use (so do I), on the other hand your description is quite extensive :-).

Regards Roger.

Friday, April 20, 2018 6:47 AM
  • Thanks when I catch up with life I'll take  look into Docs.Microsoft.com. As a symptom of being below poverty, mentally and physically disabled I have less bandwidth for life after dealing with the basics. This also isn't my field of original study I'm a nurse.

The reason the project is so detailed is years it took from discovering VS while trying to improve on my degree and starting with the early beta tests of LS then. Until 2015 when pivot tables were added into Office in 2013 and I discovered how to use them to feed my active sheets from the Lightswitch structures i had developed. Most recently a year of formal training in web and mobile design learning how to improve my model and some fundamentals like third normal form. I'm still struggling right now my project won't connect to the server and I don't know what naming I have wrong in my connection string since migrating Environment SQL Servers in College. I still struggle with the abstract of how to model Blood Labs and end up with a Lightswitch Application Tier that presents even close to what I want. Plus other fine tuning and now with code structures not being my strong skills after healthcare I have to find and retrain myself. Which took like 5-6 years to fully work out before.
    Friday, April 20, 2018 7:41 AM