none
API Manager Internal traffic manager RRS feed

• Question

• I have read that the APIM includes an internal traffic manager and shared configuration? If so, when deploying the APIM to two regions (for HA/DR purposes), does this mean that any updates our developers push out are automatically synced to both regions? Also, what is the logic used in that internal traffic manager? For example, if there is some kind of disruption in one region, how/when is traffic diverted to the second region?
    Monday, October 29, 2018 4:08 PM

Answers

• Hi Vegas577

If you haven't already, please have a look at this doc: 
    How to deploy an Azure API Management service instance to multiple Azure regions

when deploying the APIM to two regions (for HA/DR purposes), does this mean that any updates our developers push out are automatically synced to both regions? ...if there is some kind of disruption in one region, how/when is traffic diverted to the second region?
    "Azure API Management replicates only the API gateway component across regions. The service management component is hosted only in the Primary Region. In case of an outage in the Primary Region, applying configuration changes to an Azure API Management service instance is not possible - including settings or policies updates."

Also, what is the logic used in that internal traffic manager?
    "...To fully leverage geographical distribution of your system, you should have backend services deployed in the same regions as Azure API Management instances... "

Hope this helps, please let us know if you have any further questions on this :)
    Thursday, November 1, 2018 12:07 AM

All replies

• Hi Vegas577

If you haven't already, please have a look at this doc: 
    How to deploy an Azure API Management service instance to multiple Azure regions

when deploying the APIM to two regions (for HA/DR purposes), does this mean that any updates our developers push out are automatically synced to both regions? ...if there is some kind of disruption in one region, how/when is traffic diverted to the second region?
    "Azure API Management replicates only the API gateway component across regions. The service management component is hosted only in the Primary Region. In case of an outage in the Primary Region, applying configuration changes to an Azure API Management service instance is not possible - including settings or policies updates."

Also, what is the logic used in that internal traffic manager?
    "...To fully leverage geographical distribution of your system, you should have backend services deployed in the same regions as Azure API Management instances... "

Hope this helps, please let us know if you have any further questions on this :)
    Thursday, November 1, 2018 12:07 AM
  • I am familiar already with these documents. I was looking for something more though. Is there any information on how APIM decides the primary region is unavailable? There are all kinds of scenarios for this I realize, but at what point does it failover...if that is even known?
    Thursday, November 1, 2018 11:09 AM