none
"error establishing a database connection" with azure website and wordpress

Question

• Hi everyone,

I am the owner of http://www.netzkino.de (the wordpress-website is running on azure).

Mostly all works fine, but under last, I got the message "error establishing a database connection".

I guess there are to many database-queries.. (over 10k unique visitors per day). I tried also to scale the instances without success... :/

How can I fix this problem? Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Best regards,

Daniel

Thursday, September 20, 2012 1:03 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Open programmatically search bar Win8 HTML5 JS,

Thank you for your question.  

I am trying to involve someone more familiar with this topic for a further look at this issue. Sometime delay might be expected from the job transferring. Your patience is greatly appreciated.  

Thank you for your understanding and support

Best Regards,
    Iric
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Friday, September 21, 2012 6:06 AM
  • Hi Daniel,

This is Microsoft SQL Azure Professinal Haoran, who will be working with you about this ticket. Thank you for your petience. As we need more information to know, could you let me know your email address, so that it is more convieniente for communicaiton? we need more information such as your subscription id, your database id and server name, then we need to know the timestamp when the issue happen. Could you send me an email haoranw@microsoft.com so that i know how to communciate with you? Thank you for your cooperation.

Best regards,

Haoran

Wednesday, September 26, 2012 1:36 AM
  • Hi, Daniel. Sorry that no one from the Windows Azure Web Sites team engaged you on this. We don't monitor this forum.

MySQL databases used with Windows Azure Web Sites are actually hosted by ClearDB, so it sounds like the connection from Azure to ClearDB is encountering a problem here. I'd like to see if I can find some more information on what might have happened. Can you please tell me when you last saw this error? A date and approximate time would be great. In the meantime, I'll hit your site a few times and see if I can generate it now.

Thanks.

By the way, admins of this forum can move this post to the Windows Azure Web Sites CTP forum if possible.

Jim Cheshire | Microsoft

Wednesday, October 10, 2012 6:40 PM
  • Hi Jim Cheshire.

thanks for your support! ;)

"MySQL databases used with Windows Azure Web Sites are actually hosted by ClearDB, so it sounds like the connection from Azure to ClearDB is encountering a problem here"
    Absolutely right, that's it in my opinion, too.

The error message occurs very often in the "prime time" of requests (16-22 o'clock GMT+2). 

If you reload the page ( http://www.netzkino.de ) very often and fast, you have a very good chance to see the error message.

"Can you please tell me when you last saw this error?"
    Today Oct 11, 9:13 o'clock GMT+2, after I refreshed the page fast and a few times.

Do you need more information?

Thanks in advance!

Best regards,
    Daniel
    Thursday, October 11, 2012 7:17 AM
  • Hi, Daniel. Yep, I am able to generate the error as well. The issue is apparently caused by throttling on the free MySQL database server. There is a limit of 4 connections on that database. You can get an upgrade that will allow more simultaneous connections by contacting ClearDB at https://www.cleardb.com/store/azure.

Hope that helps.

Jim Cheshire | Microsoft

Thursday, October 11, 2012 7:24 PM
  • Hi Jim,

thanks for your support! :)

I upgraded the azure database to the clearDB Saturn database plan. But without success :( 

I copied the old db-entries to the new one and then I deleted the weak db.

Unfortunately the error still exist :/

Did I do something wrong?

Thanks in advance!

Best regards,

Daniel

Thursday, October 11, 2012 8:50 PM
  • Microsoft and ClearDB have resolved this issue for Daniel. After upgrading the database plan, ClearDB transitioned the new plan to the existing database and all is now working correctly.

Jim Cheshire | Microsoft

Thursday, October 11, 2012 10:48 PM
  • We're experiencing this very same problem.  I've created an incident report.  How can I upgrade our clearDb we're using Azure Web.  

Thanks,

Rafi

Friday, March 15, 2013 2:19 AM
  • Hi,

I have the same problem today :s, except that I do not have any user yet as the database is only a few hours old...

What does the connection limit means? Is there only 4 write operations possible?

Thanks for your help,

Rémi Marenco

Wednesday, July 24, 2013 1:02 PM
  • Remi,

Each access to the database uses a TCP connection. You are allowed a maximum of 4 simultaneous connections with the default MySQL plan from ClearDB.

Jim Cheshire | Microsoft

Friday, July 26, 2013 5:24 PM
  • Hello Jim,

I have the same problem and would like to know what would be the procedure to upgrade my ClearDB plan. 

How should I proceed? 

Thank you,

Igor.

Desenvolvedor .NET para sistemas embarcados (www.duinolabs.com)

Monday, November 4, 2013 12:20 PM