Windows Update - Deleting *.SPA & *.SYN files RRS feed

• Question

•  

The problem results from a recent Microsoft Windows update.

The cause is believed to be as follows:

1)      The user downloads and installs an update to Windows XP

2)      The system asks the user to perform a reboot, but the user decides to reboot later

(The application in question "Q-Nest" is associated with CNC and CAM machining processes).

Data submitted to Q-Nest between the windows download/install and the re-boot are corrupted. The system works correctly again after the re-boot, however customer’s have lost a full day’s work because of this problem.

The files in question have the extension *.SPA (geometry) file, and an *.SYN (machining instructions) file. The problems arose following Windows updates on the 6th October in Denmark and 23rd October in Romania, is the *.SYN files are deleted between the Microsoft download/install and the reboot.

If anyone can offer a reason for these files being deleted, I would be most grateful.

• Moved by Max Wang_1983 Tuesday, April 26, 2011 4:55 PM forum consolidation (From:Windows Error Reporting for ISVs)
    Friday, October 24, 2008 9:04 AM

All replies

• I am not so familar with the Q-NEST application, do you have a link to this?

Can you look at your Windows Update History and tell me the names of the updates that were installed on the dates you mentioned?

• Proposed as answer by khill Thursday, January 15, 2009 3:48 AM
    Wednesday, November 26, 2008 6:11 PM