Running at System Privilege RRS feed

• Question

• I have created a custom answer file for Windows Embedded Standard 7. I need to run some commands that require system privilege but I can't seem to find out how to do this. It appears the OOBE System pass runs as Admin not System. Specifically I need to add Java to the path environment variable and also modify the HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Enum\Root registry hive. I tried using psexec.exe but get the error message "Couldn't install PSEXESVC service". Are there any of the 7 passes that operate with system privilege that I can run command on or can I elevate my privilege to system during the OOBE System pass?
    Thursday, April 24, 2014 4:14 PM

All replies

• If you are trying to update a registry key during Pass 7 OOBE you can use reg.exe or you import a .REG file with the update using regedit.exe /s <*.reg>.

www.annabooks.com / www.seanliming.com / Book Author - Pro Guide to WE8S, Pro Guide to WES 7, Pro Guide to POS for .NET

Thursday, April 24, 2014 5:00 PM
  • I am running regedit as a SynchronousCommand during OOBE twice in my answer file. One instance works and the other fails. The one that fails is shown below. I believe it fails because it is trying to modify a key that requires system privileges. I know the .reg file is OK because I can get it to import using the "at" command from the command line.

Also, I still can't figure out how to add directories to the system path environment variable. Any suggestions?

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\Root\LEGACY_WDTDRV]
    "NextInstance"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\Root\LEGACY_WDTDRV\0000]
    "Service"="WDTDRV"
    "Legacy"=dword:00000001
    "ConfigFlags"=dword:00000020
    "Class"="LegacyDriver"
    "ClassGUID"="{8ECC055D-047F-11D1-A537-0000F8753ED1}"
    "DeviceDesc"="WDTDRV"
    "Capabilities"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\Root\LEGACY_WDTDRV\0000\Control]
    "ActiveService"="WDTDRV"

Thursday, April 24, 2014 5:27 PM
  • If you run the command after install with elevated privileges does it work? If it does work, then maybe that is the solution to create the master image.

www.annabooks.com / www.seanliming.com / Book Author - Pro Guide to WE8S, Pro Guide to WES 7, Pro Guide to POS for .NET

Friday, April 25, 2014 3:10 PM
  • I actually stop in pass 6 and do all my frobbing there before going on to the sealing wax and OOBE stuff.

Perhaps a little manual time should be spent there?

It takes me about (looking at clock) 5 hours to get from "create IBW from answerfile" to "sealed and ready to go.

Much of that screwing around with bits and bobs and making sure all my standard USB things will work...

But I only have to do it once (per new device) and GET IT RIGHT.

That last bit though, is touch ^^;

=^x^=

Thursday, May 8, 2014 1:44 PM