Help disabling or enabling Encryption through endpoint using the wizard RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I setup up everything through the wizard and I can see that the principal communicates with the mirror but encryption is turned off on the mirror and I don't know how to enable or disable encryption on the principal through the wizard. It's just greyed out. All this should be easy but SQL made it harder when it throws a generic error message that misled me and had me spent a lot of time on my network. Anyway, I am not using any witness just a principal and a mirror. So how do I change the encryption using the wizard please?

Thanks

Tuesday, June 24, 2008 4:52 PM

All replies

• Hi,

You can try enabling or disabling encryption through T-SQL code. YOu can use ALTER ENDPOINT statement for the same.

Eg.)

Code Snippet

ALTER ENDPOINT Mirroring FOR DATABASE_MIRRORING(ENCRYPTION = SUPPORTED)

Make sure to change the endpoint name in the above script

Tuesday, July 1, 2008 4:15 AM
  • I turned on the encryption but it gave me this now:

2008-07-01 11:02:16.38 Logon       Database Mirroring login attempt by user 'NT
    AUTHORITY\ANONYMOUS LOGON.' failed with error: 'Connection handshake failed. The
     login 'NT AUTHORITY\ANONYMOUS LOGON' does not have CONNECT permission on the en
    dpoint. State 84.'.  [CLIENT: 192.168.1.240]

How do I go by solving this mistery please.

many thanks
    Tuesday, July 1, 2008 3:11 PM
  • I hope SQL service is running on Localsystem account, change SQL Service account on both the servers to "SQLService" account.

Note: Service account name and password should be same on both the servers!

Wednesday, July 2, 2008 3:59 AM
  •  

Thanks for the reply, I couldn't find SQLService account, so I used Admin account through SQL Server manager for both and it seems to give me now a different error message:

Database mirroring connection error 4 'An error occurred while receiving data: '64(The specified network name is no longer available.)'.' for 'TCP://dataserver.ppro.com:5022'.

Is it because I used a regular windows admin account? Or should I have selected the built-in account if yes, which one?

because I had it before under Local System Account but I didn't know where to go and change the SQL Service account.

Tuesday, July 8, 2008 7:22 PM
  • Hi, I couldn't find the SQL Service account, so I changed the account using SQL Server Manager to use Windows Admin account for both but it gave me this message:

Database mirroring connection error 4 'An error occurred while receiving data: '64(The specified network name is no longer available.)'.' for 'TCP://dataserver.ppro.com:5022'.

Is there any cure to my situation?

Tuesday, July 8, 2008 7:25 PM