Error generating Insert, Update, Delete commands. RRS feed

• Question

• Hey folks.

I have been working on a database application for a school project and am running into an issue with only one of the two databases I am accessing. The first database went in just fine, but now I am not able to add Update, Delete and Insert commands from the Wizard to this new database. 

How do I fix this? Here is the permissions on the file, which are identical to the first database.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Jacob Geiser

Jacob Geiser BS of IT -- Network Technologies Kaplan University
    Tuesday, August 30, 2011 3:07 PM

Answers

• Do you have a primary key defined for that database table?  Is the primary key selected as one of the fields?  You need both in order to insert/delete/update.
    • Edited by KathyW2 Tuesday, August 30, 2011 3:13 PM
    • Marked as answer by Jacob.Geiser Tuesday, August 30, 2011 3:14 PM
    Tuesday, August 30, 2011 3:10 PM

All replies

• Do you have a primary key defined for that database table?  Is the primary key selected as one of the fields?  You need both in order to insert/delete/update.
    • Edited by KathyW2 Tuesday, August 30, 2011 3:13 PM
    • Marked as answer by Jacob.Geiser Tuesday, August 30, 2011 3:14 PM
    Tuesday, August 30, 2011 3:10 PM
  • I do. I have an AutoNumber field called "OnlineID" that is the Primary Key (I think, let me go double check...)

Jacob Geiser BS of IT -- Network Technologies Kaplan University

Edit: Ah, I didn't have the Primary Key switched on. Thanks Kathy! :D

• Edited by Jacob.Geiser Tuesday, August 30, 2011 3:14 PM Jacob is such a n00b he made a silly mistake that made him sit on the project for a day :\
    Tuesday, August 30, 2011 3:12 PM
  • Also you need to make sure that the change you are making is only trying to work on a single table of the database.  If you have a relational database with more than one table, and are trying to update a Query or View that requires a change in more than one table, you wont be able to generate the insert and update statements etc.

If that is the case, try making a datasource using just the one table you need to update -- then the Wizard can generate those statements.

ClarkNK, A.K.A. HomePage Doctor
    HomePageDoctor.com -- Expression Web database tutorials
    Ownertrades.com -- Created with FP, Access, Bots and Wizards
    LawOfAllTheLand.org -- Created with Expression, VWDExress, SQL Express, and ASP.NET.
    Arvixe -- My favored web host
    Tuesday, August 30, 2011 4:11 PM