Adding Features To Existing Installation RRS feed

• Question

• I downloaded the trial Version ov Visual Studio 2008 and installed Visual Basic only. I purchased a key and registered  Visual Studio.
     I decided to install and learn Visual C++ but when I try and use the downloaded installation  files 71 files are unpacked and I get the I get the following error add features screen and then the program halts and gives me a message that it cannot proceed and the installation fails.

I did have some problem downloading the ISO file but have a successful download.

Any help would be appreciated.
    Thursday, February 25, 2010 10:08 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi SirMilt,

Thank you for your post.

To add Visual C++ feature, we don't need to download the installer again.

Please go to Control Panel >> Add/Remove Programs (For Vista or later OS, please go to "Programs and Features").
    After entering Visual Studio 2008 Maintenance Mode, please expand "Visual C++" node >> check the feature that you want to add >> click "Update" button.

Hope this helps! If you have any concern, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    Monday, March 1, 2010 8:45 AM
  • Thank You Yichun Chen, for the response.

I followed your suggestion with the following results:

1) Iselected the Repair /Change option
    2) I checked the Visual C++ option to add and clicked "Update"
    3) I received a message box stating "A selected drive is no longer valid. Please review your installation path settings before continuing with setup."
    4) When I click OK I am returned to the main screen with no options for repairing

My guess as to the problem is that it is looking for the installation file.

Any help you can give me would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Milt
    Monday, March 1, 2010 4:20 PM
  • Hi SirMilt,

Thank you for your reply.

Some clarification with you:
    Have you ever upgrade your Visual Studio 2008 to SP1?

If yes, please try to remove VS2008 SP1 under Visual Studio 2008 and then add VC++ package from Add or Remove Programs.
    For more detail information, please check: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vssetup/thread/2f3d0378-3175-49ae-acb7-012594a1bf3c

Hope this helps! If you have any concern, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    • Marked as answer by Edwer Fang Friday, March 5, 2010 2:12 AM
    Tuesday, March 2, 2010 3:04 AM